Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

98 explorer a/c issues.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Default 98 explorer a/c issues.......

my mom has a 1998 ford explorer sport with the sohc engine and last year the a/c went out so i dye checked it and found the accumulator leaking behind the insulation on it. So, i replaced it and recharged the system and never had another issue...til now... within the last month it has developed a problem were the cold air comes and goes. the blower never stops but one minute the air will be freezing and the next it'll be hot. sometimes if you crack the windows it'll get cold again and sometimes when you turn the a/c off and count to 10 and turn it back on it will cool again. so i checked and it is full of freon, so i was figuring a freeze up so i replace the low side switch on the accumulator but it didn't fix it. i was your basic straight out of college mechanic for four years, but i was never good at a/c work and most dealerships and shops i worked at wouldn't allow me to work on a/c without taking their class. so please help me....thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Default RE: 98 explorer a/c issues.......

You should check the blend door operation. This vehicle is common for blend door breakage and blend door motor failures