Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

98 Explorer Stalling when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Default 98 Explorer Stalling when stopping

I have a 98 Explorer 4wd 4.0 SOHC 225,000 miles. I recently purchased this and overall it runs strong. The problem I’m having is that It stalls when I’m stopping. I’ve done a ton of trouble shooting and fixed some basic things from what I’ve seen on this forum like replaced the IAC and cleaned the throttle body. But my issue seems to be a little different than some of the ones I’ve seen on here.

So i noticed it stalling when I came to a complete stop so I started testing different scenarios. It only seems to stall after I get into OD. I believe my transmission is a 4 speed. It only stalls if overdrive is on and I get into 4th gear and then stop. I can throw it in neutral and it doesn’t stall but when I put it into drive it stalls out. I can put it in park and it starts up and drives fine and seems to shift fine over all. If I drive on the freeway and turn overdrive off while I’m slowing down it comes out of 4th and doesn’t stall. It’s only when I leave overdrive on get into 4th and come to a complete stop.

Read something about possibly being a break sensor so I tried throwing cruise control on and tapping the break and it does slow down so I think I ruled that out.

Sorry im not very car savvy, I can replace basic part and what not but don’t know much about transmissions if that’s the problem.

i love the rig and would like to fix the issue but I don’t want to spend too much on a car that isn’t worth that much so I’m hoping it’s something simpler than just the transmission going out.

Any my feedback or ideas would be great

Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM

I believe you are on the right track suspecting the transmission. Either it is not disengaging the torque converter clutch or is not coming out of overdrive. Could involve speed sensor too! Best to have qualified tech with good scan tool to confirm what is really happening.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Unhappy Similiar problem with 05 Explorer

I'm having a similiar problem where my 05 Explorer stalls when slowing down or stopping in summer only. The temps have been in the 70's and 80's this week and low and behold, after the winter, it's doing it again. Intermittently, but more often than the summer before. I'm so afraid to take it to a mechanic, mainly because I don't trust them to fix the problem as I see so many posts online about this same issue with no answers.... I love my Ford but I'm getting frustrated. Any ideas? Or do I just start changing parts one by one, bleeding my bank account. Oh, btw, the "check engine" light is not on...

Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Hanky
Any resolution im having this issue with a sport trac.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:19 PM

Let's confirm if the torque converter is disengaging or not.
If you place it in neutral before coming to a stop, does the stalling problem go away?

Old 07-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Default Throttle body

It turned out my stalling problem was a complete throttle body assembly. Problem gone.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Yankee,
That is a good example why we should not jump to conclusions until certain checks are done. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the update hanky.