Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Brakes

Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Default Brakes

I just changed all my pads and put a new caliper on the right front because of seized pistons. I new it was time for a new brake job, but this all started because of a terrible grinding noise when stepping on the brakes. I figured it was because the pads were tolow causing grinding on the rotor. After all new pads and the new caliper the grinding noise still seems to be coming from that front right tire. The noise even seems worse then before. The rotor does have some grooves in it, and could use a re-surface,but that shouldn't be causing this bad grinding with brand new pads. Doesanyone know what could be causing that grinding noise, I just can't seem to understand it. Please help ASAP!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Default RE: Brakes

What you have managed to do is destroy a set of brake pads. If you are new to this type of repair, just let me plant a thought. Going fast does not take any effort, but the stopping part of the vehicle is the most important. When you have run brake pads down to the metal, you have taken away from the braking surface of the rotor, as well as the pad. You replaced the pads and caliper, which is good, but you need to take it one step further and either have the rotor turned, if there is enough metal left, or replace it. Rotors have a fixed minimal thickness that should not be exceeded because they can no longer dissipate heat when they get too thin, so if it is below, or near that thickness, you might want to replace both front rotors. Safety is the most important part of auto repair and brakes are one of the most important parts of safety. I'm sorry if this sounds like I am scolding, but brakes should never be worked on lightly. Think of the safety of your occupants and the other drivers out there.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:55 AM

oldtimer is correct but if you didn't grind metal to metal on the pads to rotor then it could be something as simple as poor quality brake pads making the noise.If you did wear the pads to metal then not replacing the rotor is a mistake I wouldcheck the wheel bearings too

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Regardless if new pads started to make grinding noise right away.That is not your issue .Do you get grinding while driving or just when you hit brakes. I would look into hub bearings and check to make sure backing plate isnt hitting the rotor these would give you grinding all the time .

Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 AM

I have a 1991 explorer and have to change out the front left rotor and do not know how to replace it.