Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Explorer - Random Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Default Explorer - Random Starting Issue

Hi All -

I'm experiencing a problem with my Explorer and am seeking advice from those more in the know than myself. (it's a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT AWD V8)
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my truck was what I call "starting weird". It seemed, at times, to kind of have a hollow turnover (just a click noise) when I first tried to start it, but then it would go on andcrank and start without me having to turn the key again. Then it progressed to sometimesjust the one "click" when I would turn the key and I would have to turn it back and try to restart it, but it did always start. I obviously knew something wasn't right, but in my lack of automotive knowledge I thought maybe it was just due to the cold weather we were experiencing here in Buffalo. (My dad always said that Ford's were "cold starters"??)
Anyway, this past Friday I get out of work, the Explorer has been sitting all day, and I go to start it and no problem, it starts right up. I drive the 4 minutes home, shut it off and 15 minutes later we go out, get in the truck and it won't start. I have dash lights, door sounds, headlights, etc.....but when I turn it over I get nothing except a "click". No cranking, no actually turning over, just a click. I try several times and still nothing. I call a friend who says maybe it's the battery so I have a neighbor try to jump start it. Still nothing. Just the click when the key is turned. So I'm thinking the starter is smoked right? (By right I mean in my non-experienced mind that was my first thought - LoL)
I leave it parked, talk to my friend again and he tells me it could be a variety of things and not to jump to the conclusion that it's definitely the starter.We checked the battery cables and they were tight. I had my son tap on the starter with a hammer. Checked the fuses. Still nothing.
So I go out the following morning and turn the key and voila! It starts right up. I ran a few errands (diddn't shut it off for fear it might not start again) and I note that the battery guage thing is saying that the battery is charged. It's not on the low end or anything, so I'm assuming that means it's charged.
I've never lost complete power, just experienced this intermittent starting/not starting problem.
The past couple times I've tried to start it, it's started right up like it normally shouldbut I still know that something is definitely wrong.
I have no problem repairing it whatever the problem might be....but what makes me nervous is taking it to a shop and having them tell me it's something more major than it is. So that's why I'm posting here. To get some opinions on the possibilities and the things I might be able to eliminate as the problem before I take it to the shop.I thought maybe (just maybe) this is a fairly common problem and some of you folks might be aware of it?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I appreciate all help and suggestions! : )

Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Explorer - Random Starting Issue

Hi again : )

Just wanted to say that I had a couple friends stop over and take a look atmy Explorer today and they have come to the conclusion that it is the starter. It started right up for them in the beginning and I was afraid they wouldn't get to hear/see what it's been doing the past few days, but it did the weird starting thing soon enough. As soon as they heard it they both said "that's the starter". They checked a few things - jacked it up and crawled underneath and their conclusion, to the best of their knowledge anyway, is that it's the starter. They explained to me how the brushes get stuck and how the bendix (if that the right word?) works with the flywheel blah blah blah. I'm sure I'm not using the correct terms - LoL
But anyway, that's what they said and the one guy has an Explorer himself - a few years older than mine so I feel pretty confident in what he tells me as he has had the same problem with his own before.

So hopefully once the starter is replaced I'll be good to go. Just wanted to post this follow-up so anyone kind enough tospend their time to read my original post would know the outcome (so far).
Thanks & Keep Smilin'!
Tracey

Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Tracey..

Great description of the starting concern.. Most likely the starter, but these starting system have a starter 'relay' (looks like a starter solenoid) body mounted and inline of the the starter/solenoid itself.. Check for applied current through the relay and on down to the starter/solenoid during a crank attempt.. They can 'mask' a no crank problem that may look like the starter, or the starter mounted solenoid and should be part of a diagnosis.. They may have already checked for current down to the starter, and it very wellmay be the starter, but the relay has caused a few good starters to be replaced.. Some will burn the contacts, and still 'click' but won't put current through the relay.. During a no crank condition, the system check is pretty straight forward as to cause...

Good luck with your fix...

Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 PM

I would have said starter solenoid or ignition fusible link. It's great to have help at hand to help out though.