Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Ford Explorer 2014 Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Default Ford Explorer 2014 Radio Upgrade

Hello all,
I just bought a Ford Explorer 2014 the basic model. However I really want the dashboard just as the XLT or Limited edition I believe the screen is double the size and is a touch screen. My question is can I upgrade the radio dashboard from the basic to the limited edition aftermarket, including adding the backing up camera. I believe I should be looking for Ford Explorer 4" to 8" Sync 3 Touchscreen Upgrade, I saw this online:
https://www.infotainment.com/collect...=6919673249828

Wondering if is any cheaper solutions without losing any features that use on my current panel.

thanks for the help.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site.

You can find upgrades, screen, APIM (feature programmed/VIN) and the USB hub for much less than the linked option. Even eBay you can find sellers offering the conversion for a reduction.
That said, make sure of the seller, and all equipment including programming is included.
Camera options may differ, installations etc.
Are you wanting NAV as well?

Old 12-27-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site.

You can find upgrades, screen, APIM (feature programmed/VIN) and the USB hub for much less than the linked option. Even eBay you can find sellers offering the conversion for a reduction.
That said, make sure of the seller, and all equipment including programming is included.
Camera options may differ, installations etc.
Are you wanting NAV as well?
thanks for your quick response, no I don't need NAV to be honest. You think is possible to do it through the dealership?

Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

With CarPlay you really don’t need NAV since you can use an iPhone (USB tethered) or Android (wireless) with Google maps.
Installing the head unit, USB port, and APIM is a breeze.
But the APIM needs to be programmed per your VIN = the trucks specific features or level of. This may be the sticking point at the dealer level with add ins.
My truck doesn’t have NAV, and in reality CarPlay iPhone works just fine for NAV and there aren’t any costs for updates like factory NAV/mapping.
As far as dealer level installs etc, may depend on your servicing dealer. Some dealers may balk at programming an APIM for you unless it was OE equipped, meaning should there be any problems with compatibility and feature issues afterwards.

I believe if the head/ APIM are updated, the camera install shouldn’t be too difficult ( depending on which and how many) but may require a value change within the BCM to activate the feature. Kind of like if you wanted to add the in bed lighting feature in pickups, the kit is reasonable but requires the dealer or someone with programming hardware to change the value in the BCM to active or turn on that feature..