Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

How Do I reset the computer chip on my 1997 Ford Explorer??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Default How Do I reset the computer chip on my 1997 Ford Explorer??

How do I reset the chip on my explorer??

It's a 1997, 4.0 SOHC V6. (140k mi)
The reason I want to do this is, I just had the transmission rebuilt (o/d lights kept flashing and then my car stopped moving) last week. It drove fine all through lastweek until yesterday. Somehow, the 4WD hi & 4WD lo lights keep flashing at odd intervals! I took it to the mechanic and ofcourse it didn't flash when I was at the shop! I wanna try resetting the chip and if that doesnt help I'll take it back to the shop!

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Default RE: How Do I reset the computer chip on my 1997 Ford Explorer??

Unplug and clean your battery cables - leave them off for a few minutes and reconnect them. If that doesn't work you will need a code reader that erases the codes. ( I think they're like $80 - maybe less).

Old 07-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Default 2010 Ford E150

To reset the computer (also known as the engine control module or ECM) on a 2010 Ford E150, you can follow these steps:

1. Turn off the vehicle and remove the key from the ignition.

2. Locate the battery in the engine compartment. It's usually on the driver's side.

3. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery by loosening the nut or bolt that holds it in place. Use a wrench or socket to do this.

4. Once the negative terminal is disconnected, wait for about 15 to 30 minutes. This will allow the computer to fully discharge and reset.

5. While you wait, you can also step on the brake pedal a few times or turn on the headlights to drain any remaining power from the electrical system.

6. After the waiting period, reconnect the negative terminal of the battery and tighten the nut or bolt securely.

7. Close the hood and get back into the vehicle.

8. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position without starting the engine. Leave it in this position for about 30 seconds.

9. Turn the key back to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition.

10. Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for a few minutes. During this time, the computer will relearn its operating parameters.

By following these steps, you should have successfully reset the computer on your 2010 Ford E150. Keep in mind that resetting the computer will clear any stored fault codes, but it will not fix any underlying issues. If you're experiencing a specific problem with your vehicle, it's recommended to diagnose and address the root cause separately.