General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

White Display Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 10:10 PM
Default White Display Screen?

Hello. I have a 2016 Ford Fusion SE and while driving earlier today the LCD screen went all white with radio and tuning still working. How can I get this fixed? It has about 26K miles in it but I do not have warranty anymore, just the Power Train.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:26 AM

Depending on how handy you are and if you can do a little of your own work.

I was interrupted and didn't get back till now.

If you would like,
You could remove both battery cables from the battery, hold the 2 cable ends together making good contact for a few minutes.(10)
then reconnect them , positive first then negative.
You will lose all memory sets and need to reset your radio stations, power seat memory and any other features that are placed into memory.
You will also need to drive the vehicle some to allow it to adjust to your driving habits. It's a pain, but if it solves the white screen problem only you know if it is worth the trouble.

Last edited by hanky; 12-01-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Depending on how handy you are and if you can do a little of your own work.

I was interrupted and didn't get back till now.

If you would like,
You could remove both battery cables from the battery, hold the 2 cable ends together making good contact for a few minutes.(10)
then reconnect them , positive first then negative.
You will lose all memory sets and need to reset your radio stations, power seat memory and any other features that are placed into memory.
You will also need to drive the vehicle some to allow it to adjust to your driving habits. It's a pain, but if it solves the white screen problem only you know if it is worth the trouble.
Battery cables has to be disconnected for about 10 minutes? Adjust what driving habits? What causes this? If this does not work then it is the Fuse? Since I have Power Train? Will Ford do this free of charge?

Old 12-02-2019, 08:08 AM

As you know sometimes with your own personal computer , sometimes you need to shut it down and allow a reset.
Anytime the battery is disconnected from a vehicle , it loses it's adaptive memory.
You don't need to do any adjusting ,the vehicle's computer does this.
It is called a forced reset and is used to sometimes get rid of gremlins.
I don't believe it is a fuse problem , and the only way to answer your question about charges is to call Ford yourself and ask them.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

By using a battery disconnect, it forces the systems to “re-initialize “ or reset. Anytime the battery is disconnected it erases the vehicles “keep alive” memory and all stored info will be lost like hanky mentioned. This includes vehicle ‘learned’ driving strategy, so some minor differences may be noticed until your personal habits are re learned.

So,, when the car is started, are you seeing the FORD logo/splash screen?
Sometimes when the unit is having glitches, you can do a Master Reset from the screen Settings list, but without being able to view the screen features, battery or audio unit power interruption is the first step.

The other thing to try would be a Bezel Diagnostics test. During the test the unit would do a speaker walk around test (we know the audio is working) as well a screen display indication of the speaker position as it’s tested.
If none of these attempts show any screen activity, it would be either a display screen issue, or possibly the APIM module on the back of the screen..

So try this,,,

If you have a CD player.. press and hold the EJECT button, and within 1 second press and hold the SEEK UP button. The test should begin.

If no CD.. simultaneously press and hold the steering wheel SEEK UP switch and audio units TUNE UP button. Test should begin..

Any visual results?

Old 12-02-2019, 01:35 PM

Is there a video I can see to disconnect the battery and reconnect?

Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
By using a battery disconnect, it forces the systems to “re-initialize “ or reset. Anytime the battery is disconnected it erases the vehicles “keep alive” memory and all stored info will be lost like hanky mentioned. This includes vehicle ‘learned’ driving strategy, so some minor differences may be noticed until your personal habits are re learned.

So,, when the car is started, are you seeing the FORD logo/splash screen?
Sometimes when the unit is having glitches, you can do a Master Reset from the screen Settings list, but without being able to view the screen features, battery or audio unit power interruption is the first step.

The other thing to try would be a Bezel Diagnostics test. During the test the unit would do a speaker walk around test (we know the audio is working) as well a screen display indication of the speaker position as it’s tested.
If none of these attempts show any screen activity, it would be either a display screen issue, or possibly the APIM module on the back of the screen..

So try this,,,

If you have a CD player.. press and hold the EJECT button, and within 1 second press and hold the SEEK UP button. The test should begin.

If no CD.. simultaneously press and hold the steering wheel SEEK UP switch and audio units TUNE UP button. Test should begin..

Any visual results?
I should disconnect the battery first? Is there a video to do this correctly?

Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

You shouldn’t need a video..

The battery is easily located,, then just remove the negative cable. Either cables,, will interrupt power distribution and cause initializing.. After the interruption, if still a blank screen, do check for ‘any’ screen activity with the diagnostic steps listed above..

Old 12-05-2019, 03:04 PM

What happens if I remove the positive cable first?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
You shouldn’t need a video..

The battery is easily located,, then just remove the negative cable. Either cables,, will interrupt power distribution and cause initializing.. After the interruption, if still a blank screen, do check for ‘any’ screen activity with the diagnostic steps listed above..
What happens if I remove the positive cable first?

Quick Reply: White Display Screen?