Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Need help on repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 07:31 AM
Default Need help on repair

Need help! - I’m trying to remove the AC compressor from my 2013 Explorer XLT 3.5L. Everything was going fine until I got to the final bottom mounting stud. Whoever worked on this last (Or maybe it came from the factory this way) apparently thought it was a good idea to use some kind of epoxy to permanently secure the stud into the block. Penetrating oil is useless since the connection is sealed tight with no gaps. I tried heating it with a torch but no use... It is not coming out (See photos). Not removing this stud means that the compressor would need to slide forward to get it off and out of the vehicle. But this approach presents another problem because the compressor contacts the sub-frame cross member about an inch before coming off the stud. So, I am thinking if I can drop the front sub-frame on that corner just an inch or so, I can slide the compressor past the cross member to get it off the stud. I've already loosened the passenger side sub-frame mounting bolt three or four full turns, but it doesn't seem to be getting any lower. I don't want to loosen it too far and have it come out. Should I loosen the driver side also? How far can I loosen the sub-frame mounting bolts without them coming out? Or is there some other method I can try to get the mounting stud removed? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Mounting Stud

Up against sub-frame