Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Is the repair shop taking me for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Default Is the repair shop taking me for a ride?

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer which has started to "pull" back when I am driving. No slipping. Just the feeling of it pulling back. The vehicle does not do it all that often. I took it to a repair shop and the mechanic stated the back axle is shot and the fuel pump is gone. Seems to me the vehicle would not start if the fuel pump is gone. What else could be the problem? I do not want to shell out thousands of dollars for something that will not fix the problem.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Default RE: Is the repair shop taking me for a ride?

First of all - back axles don't just get "shot". It takes a heck of a lot of heavy towing or beating or someone forgetting to put axle grease back in when servicing it. Plus you wouldn't drive far without grease - it'd heat up and blow apart. I'd check to be suresomeone didn't siphon your axle grease. And then I'd go somewhere else farther away to an unassociated garage for a second opinion. I'd think it would be more the fuel pump - but anything can happen. Many garages sadly have to stoop to breaking things to turn a profit. That's when a second opinion/price quotecomes in handy - whether it's from a doctor, a mechanic or even your local grocery sometimes you must look around to see if you're getting the short end or getting a deal.