Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Tried To Add Fuel with Portable Container. Uh-Oh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Default Tried To Add Fuel with Portable Container. Uh-Oh!

For the first time with my new Explorer, I tried to add a few gallons of old fuel from my yard equipment container in order to empty the container (so I could fill it up.) So I did like I used to with my old Freestyle, and inserted the container's nozzle into the fuel tank hole and poured. A second later I hear (and smelled) the gas dripping under the car, so I stopped. Confused, I checked the owner's manual and saw that I needed to use the nozzle that came with the car and NOT the container's nozzle. This is one of the new capless gas tanks. Uh Oh!! Did I damage something? Also, what's the opinion on adding a few gallons of old fuel in order to empty a container? Thanks for any replies!

Old 07-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Move over, you are not alone !
A lot depends on;
how much fuel was in the vehicle's tank
how much you added
did it have any water in it
Usually if the only thing was clean old fuel , usually no problem
As far as the tank inlet , if you didn't force anything , it should be OK.
Maybe , next time you could put the old fuel in something else temporarily, then mix it with fresh fuel before putting it in the vehicle.
You could always consider putting some higher octane fuel in to the vehicle , it might prevent gumming up anything.No big deal, lots of us hve done that!

Old 07-03-2017, 05:20 PM

Thanks! It was clean old fuel added to a half-full tank just so I could "dispose" of it and refill the container. My concern was that it spilled - I thought I broke something. But I believe it just ran thru the overflow valve since the tank "damper" didn't open. I want to make sure nothing is broken.