Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Where is the fuel line in engine bay (03 Explorer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:54 AM
Post Where is the fuel line in engine bay (03 Explorer)

Hi the title is basically it, I need to know the location of the fuel line in the engine, I want to disconnect it to drain the fuel out of the fuel tank by jumping the fuel pump, I saw a tutorial but the video doesnt show when he disconnected the line or which one was specifically, I would appreciate the help

Old 01-03-2022, 07:27 PM

It will take a very long time to drain the tank using the pump. Who not drop the tank and use a suction pump to drain said tank?

Old 01-04-2022, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
It will take a very long time to drain the tank using the pump. Who not drop the tank and use a suction pump to drain said tank?
There is no a lot of fuel in the tank, it would not be worth it to drop it,

Old 01-04-2022, 07:06 AM

this video explains how to do it but it doesnt say where the line comes from exactly.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:26 AM

Without knowing the reason you want to completely drain the tank,

If you let the engine idle, remove the fuel pump fuse, the engine will stop running because it ran out of fuel . That will allow the pressure in the fuel line to drop to a safe level where you can remove the fuel line at the fuel filter under the vehicle , direct the line from the tank to the filter into some type of container to collect the fuel . That way you can check/change the filter at the same time . Just don't take any kind of electrical drop light under the vehicle when you do this.

Suggest you wear hand and eye protection . Gasoline contacting your skin is not what it was years back, can be harmful up the road.

Last edited by hanky; 01-04-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:44 AM

Syphon the fuel out of the fill spout like the old days..There are many options available at Harbor Freight to do it safely. I think it is insane to do it with the fuel pump through the little 5/16 inch fuel line. . Other than the increased fire risk, you stand the chance of sucking all the debris on the bottom of the tank into your fuel pump and further damaging it when the tank runs dry.

Last edited by raski; 01-06-2022 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:17 AM

When was the last time you tried to get a siphon hose down into the fuel tank?
Try it !!
I did and wound up only being able to get a piece of hose with a 1/8 opening in there to go around all the baffles. It took 1/2 day to drain a few gallons. I had to do this because the fuel pump didn't work and had to drop the tank.
Just about all newer vehicles have those darn baffles in there where the gas will go in , but trying to get a hose in there is just about impossible. The days when they would siphon the fuel out of your tank are gone now , they just poke a hole in the bottom of the tank and locking gas cap and all and you may start the vehicle and if lucky it runs enough to place it in gear. Now who looks at the fuel gauge because you just bought fuel yesterday.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
When was the last time you tried to get a siphon hose down into the fuel tank?
Try it !!
I did and wound up only being able to get a piece of hose with a 1/8 opening in there to go around all the baffles. It took 1/2 day to drain a few gallons. I had to do this because the fuel pump didn't work and had to drop the tank.
Just about all newer vehicles have those darn baffles in there where the gas will go in , but trying to get a hose in there is just about impossible. The days when they would siphon the fuel out of your tank are gone now , they just poke a hole in the bottom of the tank and locking gas cap and all and you may start the vehicle and if lucky it runs enough to place it in gear. Now who looks at the fuel gauge because you just bought fuel yesterday.
I haven't had any issues navigating the spout and using a manual pump. One must know their limitations. I would certainly give the fire dept. a heads up using your method.He couldn't recognize a fuel line in the engine compartment and for him to try your method is asking for trouble.

Last edited by raski; 01-07-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:59 AM

So happy you are beginning to notice a lot of folks don't know or have the equip to do a lot of the suggested procedures.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:11 AM

The baffles I encountered are in the tank not the fill spout assy. Doesn't make sense to have them in the fill spout, it would be a PITA just to fill the tank.

Quick Reply: Where is the fuel line in engine bay (03 Explorer)