Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

08 F150 Trans Fault w/ Flashing O/D light and CHK Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Ok, you've got me. I have no idea why replacing the solenoids (yes, you checked them correctly) would've cleared up the code; I really hope that none of the clutches was too stressed when the problem occured. But, as you've been driving this around without problems, I can only hope the problem is gone. It's possible that one of the solenoids was opening up when hot, but that's not really common on this trans.
There is the possibility of the PCM drivers going out, but again, usually, it would be a 'go-no go' thing, where they either were or weren't working correctly.
I hope you have many miles of completely uninteresting shifting in the future. That's the best outcome here!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM

greasemark.... do you think I should have the PCM drivers re-installed... if that is even possible or an option. (Would another system affect these drivers and their application.) If so, what do you think the costs would be. So far, the tranny seems to be shifting fine. I have noticed, though, the OD kicks in sooner and seems to stay engaged longer (but drops into passing gear just fine should I step on it). Perhaps I'm a bit oversensitive to the shifting. As for the solenoid "Opening up when hot," not sure I understand what you mean there. Are you suggesting the coils in the solenoid could have just begun to fail?

BTW... my gas milage seems to be improving...

Thanks greasemark!

Last edited by tomcat5; 08-05-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:10 PM
Default Trans Fault

I just purchased a 2008 F-150 with 5.4. It has 106K miles on it. It has a good service record. I had the same code with the OD light flashing. It would go on for a minute or two and go off. I turned the OD off and never saw it again on the trip. It happens mostly when the OD is shiftng in and out, like in some slower traffic, but doesn't in interstate traffic. I am just looking for possibilities.