Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 f150 crew cab xlt has alternator replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 11:43 AM
Default 2001 f150 crew cab xlt has alternator replaced

i replaced my alternator not if its the right one for its kind... when i start the engine seconds later it makes an regreatable noise as if it wants to satrt the engine again... the altenator was bad.. it got replaced and so did the batteery.. what csan be wrong here..??

Old 01-08-2023, 06:32 AM

Not sure , but from your description, could your vehicle have a problem with the starter not disengaging?

What caused you to suspect the alternator?

If something is always providing power to the starter system when it should only be supplying power when the key is turned to the start position, That could be a possibility.

Can you provide the entire story?

Old 01-20-2023, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure , but from your description, could your vehicle have a problem with the starter not disengaging?

What caused you to suspect the alternator?

If something is always providing power to the starter system when it should only be supplying power when the key is turned to the start position, That could be a possibility.

Can you provide the entire story?
i sent out my truck my for an enigine rebuilt, they erbuilt eveything from ground up... to the kit with water pump included.. ,compressor, water pump, motor starter, silonoid detachable, but the alternator. i brought it home.. changed out the alternator myself.. the battery was a low just given enough juice to bring it home... the next day was when i changed out the alternator... after i changed out my alternator.. it burned out my motor starter... the shop mechanic told me because the battery became bad... the next i changed out the motor starter, it turned on one time then imidiately turned it off after some squealin from serpentine belt.. after i wanted to turn it on again.. no response... even after a jump start.... the motor starter once again again burned out.... this morning i got to the auto part place and took the past motor starter and it checked out bad... i replaced already cleaning out the ground wires just to make sure... nothing supplys power without the key ignition... but the mechanic from the shop said it burned him out a motor starter lalso due to a bad altenator...

Last edited by Jordani Medrano1982; 01-20-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:30 PM

If the battery has sufficient charge, you can disconnect all the wires from the alternator , making sure none get near to any kind of possible ground, AND that should not interfere with the engine starting unless the alternator was seized and could not rotate.

Something could be wrong with the starters,maybe the wrong starter, or incorrect installation of the wires going to the starter.
There is a difference between a starter for a std trans vehicle as compared to an auto trans vehicle.
Maybe you didn't tell the complete story, but something does not sound right. We don't know what kind of rebuild your engine received, so that could get into the picture.
Without actually checking in person , not wise to come to quick incorrect conclusions.
Is there anymore info you can fill in ?
Are you able to turn the engine over by hand without the starter? Our answer might be in there.

Last edited by hanky; 01-20-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jordani Medrano1982
i sent out my truck my for an enigine rebuilt, they erbuilt eveything from ground up... to the kit with water pump included.. ,compressor, water pump, motor starter, silonoid detachable, but the alternator. i brought it home.. changed out the alternator myself.. the battery was a low just given enough juice to bring it home... the next day was when i changed out the alternator... after i changed out my alternator.. it burned out my motor starter... the shop mechanic told me because the battery became bad... the next i changed out the motor starter, it turned on one time then imidiately turned it off after some squealin from serpentine belt.. after i wanted to turn it on again.. no response... even after a jump start.... the motor starter once again again burned out.... this morning i got to the auto part place and took the past motor starter and it checked out bad... i replaced already cleaning out the ground wires just to make sure... nothing supplys power without the key ignition... but the mechanic from the shop said it burned him out a motor starter lalso due to a bad altenator...
i also finished intalling the third motor starter and after runing the vehicle for several miles, it rans accordly the mechanic work... good... after bringing back home choosing where to park it good to make sure it will not bother nobody space... i turned it off knowing the troubles... i crossed my fingers and ..... tried to ignited for its second time... nope.... the motor starter would start again... just one little click from below.... what can it be..???

Old 01-21-2023, 06:47 AM

If,,, you can turn the engine over by hand, (not using the starter) that would tell us the engine is OK. If you cannot, there is something wrong with the rebuild.
If you can move the crank pulley , I would look at the battery cables to make sure they are not corroded inside.
That would prevent the starter from getting full power to start the engine.

From your description they replaced a lot of parts and we don't know where they bought them or if they were good quality.

What does your shop have to say about all this?