Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 f-150 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Default 2006 f-150 problems

I have a 06 f-150 supercrew with 4000 miles/V8/5.4L trintron motor. It is at the dealership right now because I am having problems with the battery, it is totally drained after it sits for a couple of days, the truck has a vibration when you hit 75 mph, it doesn't idle smoothly and it seems like this motor just runs hard. This is my 3rd ford truck and I've never had problems before but I'm at wit ends with this one. The dealer informed me they have put the wheels & tires on some kind of sophisticated machine and it's registering that everything is fine but they still feel the vibration when they drive it so they have a field service engineer coming to the dealership to look at it due to FORD not wanting to approve new tires. I'm wondering has anyone else experienced some problems with this type of truck ??

Old 04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Default RE: 2006 f-150 problems

i would have to say with the battery it sounds like some kind of short or ground issue. or that something that you have stays on and drains the battery. i would have them check it by using diagnositc tool and see what comes up. as far as the vib. maybe you have a separated tire, something is out of wack in the alignment, or something in the suspension is goofed up. good luck

Old 05-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Default RE: 2006 f-150 problems

That special machine for balancing is probally the Hunter road forced balancer. I know because I have been through 4 of them within 5000 miles. You need to find out what everything looks ok means. The machine will give out a road force number. Lower being better and higher being worse. Anything over 30 lbs road force is getting high, they then balance the tire to what the comp says. A higher number means a rougher ride. If the road force is essessive the machine will recommend moving the tire on the rim then retry. If any wheel or tire is excessive then the road force will be high but the tires can still be balanced. ( but will vibrate or ride rough) Believe me I am not a expert on this but I have been through four of these in the last two months. Twice my service dept road forced balanced my tires and once they were excessive and once they were good but on the high side. Mine was a vibration problem and also bounced on every bump in the road making some very painfull and nerve racking driving. and there are plenty of old bad roads in South Carolina. They even tried two new sets of tires and they were excessive so they put the old ones back on. I decided to take it to a tire shop and try a regular spin balance and it did help but the service dept messed that balance up when they tried the new tires. Well last week i got it back and the tires were rough and bounced just as bad as before. I took it to a tire shop and had them to rebalance the tires on the road forced balancer. The numbers came out as follows two fronts 12 and 12 two rear tires 10 and 7 they were almost twice that before. The weights were off 1.5 oz, .75 oz, .50 and .25 the .25 is normal and they left this one alone because it was the 7 lbs road force. Bottom line is my tires now ride 80 percent better. I do not feel every bounce in the road and no vibrations due to tires (some roads i do it is a truck with a stiff suspension but it is a whole lot less than before). I do not believe my Ford dealer can balance tires because two other tire dealers did and they rode good. Remember most service dept's started selling tires but a tire shop does this for a living. If your service dept does not get it fixed do yourself a favor take it to a good tire dealer that has a Hunter Road force balancer and have them check them it might cost you 40-50 dollars but it might help it did mine . Also if they do not fix this then ask the service manager if Ford will pay to have someone else balance the tires. Of course if the tires do balance right then you will have to pay for it, but at least you will know. I am going to ask my service dept to pay for mine because i got the tires fixed when they could not fix them. I do not know if this will help you but I went through the same thing. Something else if they come to you and tell you they have a special weight they can use to correct the problem tell them no. They used it on mine and it did not help it. This is a patch not a fix. If you think the weight is not real just ask your service manager about the weight that is made of plastic comes in different lengths up to 12 inches sticks on the inside of the wheel and contains tiny BB's.
Ford F150
Super Crew
XLT
5.4 L
One thing I will say this thing has power and will pull but will beat you to death on back roads with pot holes and have been patched.