Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F150 issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 05:14 PM
Default 2010 F150 issues

Hey everyone. I need some advice on what might be causing my 2010 f150 to be stalling while I'm at an Idle. My f150 has been shutting its self off when if I am stopped or at a stop light for to long. It's been happening for about 4 months now. I took my f150 to the nearest ford house in Mckinney Texas about 2 months ago. They had my truck for 3 days and the service advisor said that the technician who was working on my truck could not make it stall out. The issue was not throwing a code. The technician recommended I replace a valve. I forget what it's called. But it sits on the top of my truck between the fuel lines. $800 later I get my truck back and my truck stalls out on me the next day. Obviously I'm not going to be taking my truck back to that Ford house. The issue only happens when I'm idling for to long. Could this be a throttle body issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 PM

Every piece of addl info you can provide could be helpful.

Is there a specific amount of time this stall takes place like 10- 15 minutes?
What accessories happen to be on when this happens?
Does your vehicle have any add on accessories like , remote start, programmer?
How long has this been happening?
What is the mileage on the vehicle?
Does it restart easily?
Do you need to do anything special to get it restarted?
Any check engine light ?
Any other waning lights on the dash come on just before stalling?

Old 04-08-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Every piece of addl info you can provide could be helpful.

Is there a specific amount of time this stall takes place like 10- 15 minutes?
What accessories happen to be on when this happens?
Does your vehicle have any add on accessories like , remote start, programmer?
How long has this been happening?
What is the mileage on the vehicle?
Does it restart easily?
Do you need to do anything special to get it restarted?
Any check engine light ?
Any other waning lights on the dash come on just before stalling?

1.The stall outs happen randomly. There is no set time on when it happens when I'm Idling at a red light or stopped in traffic.
2. The only Accessories that are on is the AC unit. It does seem to stall more when the AC is going. I have no other accessories.
3. Tmileage is 263891.4
4. It's been happening for about 4 months now.
5. My Truck does restart easily.
6. I just put the truck back in park and turn the key over again.
7. No check engine light comes on. But there is a oil can symbol that will show up when the truck stalls out.

8. No other waning lights come on. It's only after the truck stalls out.
*After I got my truck back from the Ford dealership I installed a new battery thinking that would fix the issue. It didn't.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:07 PM

Don't know at this time, but what happens when you have the A/C on, there is a higher demand for power from the electrical supply. If that supply is reduced enough by the higher demand , electronic components shut down due to insufficient power available to them to function.
What can contribute to the problem is poor connections that provide power to the electrical system among which could be the ignition switch, and the components it supplies power to.
Just out of curiosity , do you have a key operated ign sw and does it have a large key ring with many keys on that ring that could be weighing down on the ign sw? Have had more than one instance where this was the cause of the engine shutting down and easily restarting.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Don't know at this time, but what happens when you have the A/C on, there is a higher demand for power from the electrical supply. If that supply is reduced enough by the higher demand , electronic components shut down due to insufficient power available to them to function.
What can contribute to the problem is poor connections that provide power to the electrical system among which could be the ignition switch, and the components it supplies power to.
Just out of curiosity , do you have a key operated ign sw and does it have a large key ring with many keys on that ring that could be weighing down on the ign sw? Have had more than one instance where this was the cause of the engine shutting down and easily restarting.
1. I do have a key operating ignition. I do have some key on my key ring but its nothing to heavy. Would you recommend taking my truck to auto zone or Napa and get a scanner hooked up to my truck? Would that tell me anything about there being an electric issue?

Old 04-10-2021, 10:55 AM

You can try that,there may be a code in there.
There could be several causes for the engine shutting down, the idea is to isolate the loss of power to a specific area. This can be done with some simple test equip, but sometimes you hit it right away and other times you have to go down the line to eliminate possibilities.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:28 PM

Ok. I'll try that next time I have a stall out. Thank you for the help. I'll keep you updated as I get additional information.