Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 ecoboost shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Default 2014 ecoboost shuts down

My truck a 2014 Super Crew with the 3.5 Ecoboost will just stop. The display turns orange and the large wrench symbol appears. The engine continues to run but will not throttle up and is idling very rough. I can usually shift up to neutral, switch it off, and then restart and everything is normal. The check engine symbol even disappears. The local dealer said there are no codes in the computer showing that a problem occurred. Yesterday it did it and I had to restart several times be fore I could get the truck moving again. It did not not have normal power and the check engine light stayed on. I was able to find a place to pull over, switched the truck off, restarted and once again everything was normal. The check engine light had gone off. I use the truck for traveling pulling a camper and this has gotten not only annoying but dangerous as yesterday I was on a two lane narrow road with no way to get off the road until I could get the truck moving again. As I said, the motor is running, but will not throttle up. This usually happens when I doing about 20-30 mph. Any ideas?

Last edited by Walter Stewart; 06-05-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:11 AM

Intermittants can be difficult to find .
Each time you shut the key off it is allowing the vehicle Powertrain computer to reset.

If you can, Will the problem occur if you just left the vehicle running in place. If so, get an idea of the time and run it outside the dealership without shutting the engine off. If there are any codes in the computer , they should be able to get some direction .

Old 06-06-2020, 08:07 AM

Problem first occurred over a year ago. Will go for months without any problems, then will do it for a few days. Truck won't move so no way to get to dealer when it occurs. Usually occurs at low speeds, and I've noticed that truck is usually in 4th gear when it stops. Fourth gear shifts are sometimes rough. Could it be a transmission problem?

Old 06-06-2020, 03:42 PM

From what you describe it sounds like the vehicle computer is picking up a problem and sending the system into "Limp mode". Usually will run enough to get to a service facility..
Sometimes ,and this requires someone experienced to check it out, if something malfunctioned , here it could be the Electronic throttle body "Drive By Wire" system or possibly a wire rubbing against a sharp piece of metal where a wire makes contact someplace it should not, causing a voltage drop the computer senses as a problem and to protect the network throws the system into limp mode. This is a very general explanation because it can get a bit fuzzy trying to pin it down. The chances of it being a trans problem are kinda at the bottom of the list although not impossible..

Old 06-07-2020, 08:07 PM

Problem occurred this morning again. Although engine continues to run truck will not move. Throttle has no effect. Once I shut it off and restart check light goes off.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Tired to upload a video I made when it shut down this morning. Just shows what is going on.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:54 AM

One thing you can do is, leave the vehicle at the dealer and let them drive it a day or two. Once it happens to them , they should know what needs to be done.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
One thing you can do is, leave the vehicle at the dealer and let them drive it a day or two. Once it happens to them , they should know what needs to be done.
I've got an appointment in the morning with them. That's my plan, just leave it and hopefully they can see what's going on. I've got an extended warranty so at least won't break the bank. Thanks for your interest and replies.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Walter Stewart
I've got an appointment in the morning with them. That's my plan, just leave it and hopefully they can see what's going on. I've got an extended warranty so at least won't break the bank. Thanks for your interest and replies.
Be expected to leave it for a few days, worse thing we hate is intermittent problems with no codes. Also warranty doesnt pay anything while were spending time trying to get vehicle to act up.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Default Truck is fixed

Although there were no codes in the computer in the past, this time the tech did find codes in the computer that pointed to a problem with the throttle body. Several parts were replaced and they feel the problem has been corrected. Time will tell but at least something was done this time. Thanks for all the input and advice.

Quick Reply: 2014 ecoboost shuts down