Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 balance shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Default 4.2 balance shaft

Anyone know how to line up the counter balance shaft on a 4.2

I think they put it in wrong ,it ribrates bad

Old 02-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Default RE: 4.2 balance shaft

So the engine runs great its just vibrates badly?
I've seen the balancer turn and be off balance on other engines, I guess it could happen to the 4.2L. Most cars still use the balancer for engine timing, use a timing light and if its off spec. it probably move and is out of wack, get it replaced.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Tried three different balancers,two different fly wheels ,not the problem.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:02 PM

You say fly wheel, its a standard? If so what about the pressure plate, or disc.
I had some cars with the fan chipped or miss a blade and they vibrated badly. Maybe you can remove the fan and get it checked for balance. The only place I can think of to check this is at a lawn mower place. The sharpen the cutting blade and check them for balance without spinning them. Better yet get one from a salvage yard.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 AM

My friend, you have lost me.. You note a "Counter Balance" on your engine.. I realize that I am an old man and out of touch with these new computerised horses of today. Are you talking about the "Harmonic Ballancer" or the big thing on the front of the engine behind all the lower pullys? If that is what you are talking about..It is mounted on either rubber or leather. Now I am telling my age.. They no longer mount them on leather. The outter ring is supported by one of the two.. If they get soaked by oil, they tend to loosen up and go out of sync..If that is not what you are talking about.. PM me and we can discuss it.. Carl

Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 AM

On the SOHC V6 engine Ford placed a shaft inside of the block that counterbalances the internal vibrations of the engine. It sits down on the bottom left of the engine as you look at it form the front. It is connected and driven by the crankshaft via chain. Along with the counterbalance chain on the crank is a chain that run up where one would expect to see the cam shaft but it is a jack shaft not a cam shaft. It has a chain on the front of the block that runs the OHC on the passenger side of the engine, and then on the back of the block is another chain that runs the OHC on the driver’s side of the block. What most likely happened is that the chains have jumped and your timing and balance is off. The tool set for setting the timing up on a SOHC V6 cost close to $500. It sets the timing on the OHC’s and on both the counterbalance shaft and jackshaft. Some small shops may not have this tool because it is for such a singular application. Check with a mechanic shop that has done the timing one a similar engine before.