Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

is the 5.4 as slow as they say?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Default is the 5.4 as slow as they say?

i just bought a 2007 5.4 and it seems that iether my friends are jelous or they actually think the 5.4 is very slow. i just wana know how fast it really is.

compared to the following, how close of a race would it be?

5.7 L vortec ( was eventually replaced with the 5.3 L)

current 5.3 L in the new GMC

the HEMI

anyway, compared to those three engines, how is the ford 5.4 compared to these?

Thanks guys

Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: is the 5.4 as slow as they say?

I cannot answer your question but i can tell you the 5.4 in the f-150 was not built for speed imo. I do however love my truck. My truck has the towing package and when i pull my boat you do not feel it at all. I put a K & N cold air on it along with flowmaster catback system. I cut the pipes off right behind the muffler and welded 2 dumps that are about 10" long so it sounds killer. The K & N cold air made a big difference in the power to my surprise. Still not a race truck but runs very good and sounds even better. This site seems a little slow. I am also thinking of switching to amsoil in all my vehicles. Sounds like a good synthetic and price not bad either. Good luck finding an answer.

One more thing, the speed limiter is a drag but can be solved with a programer. I just did not want to play with that as i am finally finished paying my debt to DOT after years of tickets so speed is not in my future anymore.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Gearing in the different trucks will make a difference, too.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:57 PM

I totally agree with captjon37 on this issue. I have a 07 FX2 with a few mods and noticed a huge difference between stock and the current setup. The biggest improvement (so far) has been the cold airintake system (check out True-Flow). One thing I have to say though, after owning a number of...ch...ch...chevys and 2 Dodges1 Ford, (this being my first) I'm totally impressed with this vehicles performance...just my 2 cents! As far as oil, I've religously used Roal Purple in all of my vehicles and will swear by it. It costs a little more, but well worth it in the long run.

ORIGINAL: captjon37

I cannot answer your question but i can tell you the 5.4 in the f-150 was not built for speed imo. I do however love my truck. My truck has the towing package and when i pull my boat you do not feel it at all. I put a K & N cold air on it along with flowmaster catback system. I cut the pipes off right behind the muffler and welded 2 dumps that are about 10" long so it sounds killer. The K & N cold air made a big difference in the power to my surprise. Still not a race truck but runs very good and sounds even better. This site seems a little slow. I am also thinking of switching to amsoil in all my vehicles. Sounds like a good synthetic and price not bad either. Good luck finding an answer.

One more thing, the speed limiter is a drag but can be solved with a programer. I just did not want to play with that as i am finally finished paying my debt to DOT after years of tickets so speed is not in my future anymore.