Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 tranny problem/other

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 AM
Default '94 tranny problem/other

Hello everyone. I'm having a problem getting my 94 ford f-150 to take off, great in reverse. Radiator froze during previous freeze(some antifreeze, not enough) and overheated. was dealing with driveshaft/yoke problem at time, now repaired. Seal into transmission leaks. Drained raditor, but not tranny line. But will not go when in drive, but be trying. Any suggestions.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 AM

Pretty sure you are aware the lines from the trans to the radiator are trans fluid cooling lines, so should not have been affected by radiator freezing.
Entirely different problem in trans possibly involving forward clutch assy. If the trans warms up a bit may help, does the OD lite do anything?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks for help. The OD lite comes on & blinks, but don't think I have used it before. What exactly is it's function & how does it work with the tranny? I notice, when I change tranny fluid & filter, the bottom of the pan had dark build up or like slug(not sure of correct term) and burn smell. but lifted truck & tested drive shaft(working fine), then removed drive shaft & tested while engine on & tranny turning fine. I read something about tranny cooler. would this affect it or any fuses possibly?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM

The OD OFF lite comes on when you depress the button on the shift lever- prevents it from going into 4 th gear, overdrive.
When it flashes it indicates a problem usually in or with the trans.
Dark paste in the pan is normal and is usually from thrust washer and clutch disc wear.
The burned smell is cause for concern. That indicates a clutch assy is slipping and overheating the fluid, usually requires the trans to be opened up and checked out.
If you decide go with a trans replacement, depending on the condition of your vehicle and how you plan to keep it and use it, consider getting a remanufactured trans by Ford put in. Anyone can get one and install it.
Sometimes you can get lucky and get a decent rebuilt unit, but not always.