Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Anyone know heater fresh air inlet point for 2013 f150

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Default Anyone know heater fresh air inlet point for 2013 f150

I have a 2013 and wonder if any forum folks might know where the inlet point is for the fresh air.

I know lots of guys would like to add an air filter.

I'd be happy enough to block off the inlet, so in effect I'd have Recirc on all the time.

Researching this further I've found that under 50 degrees outside, On Auto, Ford forces the Recirc to drop out after 5 minutes, thus forcing you to receive outside air in the cabin, whether you want it or not. Lots of brands like Nissan and Lexus do not do this! Asthma sufferers and folks allergic to pollen or road diesel smoke understand.

I've looked under the cowl cover beneath the wiper blades and don't see an air opening, on the passenger side, anyway.

Tips appreciated.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Don't know if this is true today, but in the past many auto manufacturers wanted to maintain a positive pressure in the passenger compartment to insure continuous intake of fresh air so exhaust leaks could not fill the passenger compartment.
Just below the windshield are usually slots for water to drain and also allow air to be available to go into the inside of the vehicle when the HVAC system was in any position other than off or recirc. Also when in the recirc position I believe the cabin air filter is by-passed.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 PM

We've checked the passenger half of the cowling and no vent slots or opening was found. It could be there, but we can't see it.

Also according to Ford, current model f150's don't have cabin air filters, though other Fords do.

We know that there is a vac operated door which re=directs fresh and recirc air. We believe that door is likely behind the evap housing, and we're never likely going to be able to get to it.. For that reason we'd like to find the intake point outside.

For sure, in 'auto' or climate control mode, recirc will stay on full time at outside temps of 50 or greater. It's just with the onset of colder weather it drops out at 50., after 5 min. As before, we know that Nissan and Lexus among many others will allow recirc to be on full time.

Any added tips on finding the inlet point for fresh air would be much appreciated!

Anyone spent much time up behind a 2010 or newer dash?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Maybe a little daylight........

The fresh air inlet may not be obvious.

Below the cowl on the passenger side...basically on the high portion of the firewall, you can see two round holes. One is about a half inch and the other about 3/8". Then up in the flat portion of the cowl, there is about a 1" hole under a plastic shroud.

Using smoke generating device, and with the heater on, and recirc off, and engine off, I did get a fair amount of smoke drawn into the truck interior from that area of the cowl.

If these are the air inlets, it's not obvious, and would be something impossible to add an air filter to.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 PM

anyone know the air inlet location, or how you access the air inlet blend door?