Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Battery Drain Strange Problem!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Default Battery Drain Strange Problem!!!

My father has a 1999 F150 that has a problem. Over the past winter the battery has gone dead several times. One day as I came over to see him the radio inhis truck was playing. The key was out of the ignition so I turned off the radio via the switch. A few days later the battery was dead. He charged it and a few days later it went dead again. So I decided to eliminate the problem I would pull the fuse out so that radio would not be left on. Now get this as the truck was running and the radio on I pulled out the fuse, of course the radio went off. Great... problem solved Right? Wrong. A few days later I arrived once again to hear the radio on. I asked if he turned it on and replaced the pulled fuse, No he didn't. Well needless to say a few days later the battery was dead again. I believe that the radio and perhaps a few other items are on and draining the battery.
My father is 79 and does not drive everyday so the battery is not charged daily. I'm at a lost to this , Thereare no power windows, door locks etc.It is a V6 only 43,000 miles a real plain jane truck,stick shift and all.I've asked the local mechanic and he says that he will have to charge by the hour to find the problem and then correct it. My father only has SS to live on and I would like to solve this problem so he has some reliable transportation and not spend much to fix it. Any suggestions???
Thanks!!!!!