Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

Battery Drain, dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Default Battery Drain, dead battery

I have a Form E350, battery drains slowly.
I disconnected fuses and found the faulty circuit provides power to:
Memory power radio
Rear seat video control unit
Battery Saver relay
Instrunment cluster
Courtesy lamp relay and Accessory delay relay
I also noticed that my power windows do not work when fuse is removed
I realize there is normally a small drain in order to power a few essential items like the clock in the radio etc..., but the battery dies in just a few days. Overnight, even in the coldest of weather, it cranks and starts really good, but left a few days, even in warm weather it's dead.
I did have a weird dash light flashing problem a while back when the key was turned off, and it went away by itself, but i suspect this is related.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM

This is still driving me crazy.
Does anyone know where the "battery saver relay" is located?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 PM

I feel your pain bud, My brand new battery drains after about 3 days.. wth... I am trying everything to solve the problem. I even had to put a second battery in it just in case i'm on a job in bum >>>> somewhere and no start. Totally dead too .. no interior light or anything.. did you find the problem yet cause it sounds like we have the same issue..

Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 AM

What model year vehicles are we working with?

Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 PM
Default Keyless FoB in range

I think I may have found a solution to some of this battery drain. My battery in 2017 Escape Titanium died overnight at a friend's house. I charged it, drove it, came back and charged it on 2 amps til it was fully charged. It started draining and was low after a few hours. I charged it again, checked the voltage with a multimeter, and several hours later it was still 12.65 volts. I had taken the keyless FOBs to the other end of the house. I'm now thinking the FOB is waking it up and making the battery drain. I had previously tried to find the drain because back at home it was draining at 2.25 amps for 20 minutes, then a few millimeters for 40 min. I also remember (just now as I write this) than the FOB itself was low on battery, and I replaced it and it was soon getting a message it was low again.)

Old 03-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Default 2017 fusion battery drain

I’ve been with a 2017 fusion and have been having drain issues since purchasing the vehicle
i asked ford and they said to replace the battery
i did and same issue
i asked them again and said they could look at it but it would cost me a service charge which i could not afford
so ive been putting up with it and now my roadside assistance has expired and they won't help

i read that there was a similar situation in the U.S And there is a class action suit happening
is there anything in Canada like this?

Old 03-07-2021, 02:11 PM

There is a special procedure to pin down a parasitic drain as they are called.
Your average shop may not be able to find the cause if not aware of the procedure.
If you cannot afford to have it corrected, you might consider removing a battery cable when parking it for a number of hours. That will cause loss of some memory like radio stations , driving habits and shift scheduling. I don't know if there is any other way to help with this other than to have it fixed when the service charge is more affordable.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:31 AM

Hi Captain,
A short circuit may cause excessive current draw and drain your battery. Check the charging system for a loose or worn-out alternator belt, problems in the circuit (loose, disconnected or broken wires), or a failing alternator. Engine operation problems can also cause excessive battery drain during cranking.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Default 17 Fusion with a parasitic draw

Has anyone heard of a fix for this battery draining issue for a 2017 fusion? If it sit for more that 4 hours the battery dies. Battery is new, alternator is new but there's a parasitic draw from somewhere. I disconnect the battery if I know it'll sit for more than four hours. Took it to a shop and they had it for 11 days and couldn't find the draw. I need help desperately.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:10 PM

Just the expense of having the alternator and battery replaced might have covered the cost to have the problem corrected by a shop with a good tech .

There could be a few reasons for this and sometimes they find the problem and other times it eludes them.
Did you consider a dealership because I'm sure your vehicle is not the first with this problem.
Sometimes there will be a service bulletin to cover this and that can save a lot of time and work.
If we had 3 vehicles with the same problem , the cause could be different for each one.
This will require someone that is very familiar with electrical work and the procedure to pin down the root cause.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain, dead battery