Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blend Door Acuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Default Blend Door Acuator

Morning,
I recently replaced the blend door acutator on my '08 F150. However, it still blows rather warm air when on vent or ac with the temperature **** all the way to the cool side. Also on cold mornings the the temp control all the way to the heat side, the temperature is luke warm at best. Is there possibly a fuse that has burned out? Any other ideas as to what may be the problem?

Thanks,

Old 04-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Default Blend Door Acutator

Anyone have any idea as to what maybe causing this? Fuse possibly?

Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Hi Don,
Seems like all we do is ask questions.

Was there definitely something wrong with the door actuator or was it replaced figuring it was the problem ?

I do not, at this time, believe any fuse is the problem , but it might be a good idea to check the fuses anyway
When we install a door actuator , we need to make sure the door is in the same position as the actuator motor. If they are not "in agreement" movement can be limited and poor results are received.. Can you remove the actuator from the ductwork, operate the heater controls to position the actuator and make sure the door position agrees with the ending position of the actuator motor then reinstall the actuator assy.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 AM
Default Blend Door Acutator

Morning,
When I removed the old acuator, the arm had a ton of play in it compared to the new one so my presumption was that was the problem. I had replaced one on a Ford Taurus at one time and it was the same way. It was my understanding (I could easily be wrong) that the acuator only went in one way. That it had to fit the groove so to speak. It went in just fine and we were able to replace the screws with no issues. We can certainly pull it back out. Is there a way to easily determine if it is in line with the proper temperature setting so it works properly?

I appreciate your time in responding to me.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:53 AM

Usually when an actuator is bad it will make a clicking noise as the internal gears have ground down and dont mesh anymore.
AC actuators do only go in one way, the new actuator comes in a certain position out of the box, if the old actuator broke in a position other then what the new one is at then you would need to insert the actuator drive shaft into the blend door then rotate the blend door and actuator as one till the bolt holes line up. You should not move the drive shaft on the new actuator to match the old broken one or you will break the new one, nor should you plug it in and move the control till the motor gets into the position you want. Let me know if that is unclear.
Before you replaced the actuator the temperature did not change when you moved the **** correct? Did the mode change when you when from defrost to chest to floor?
I would check first if mode works correctly, assuming it does I would set it to chest mode and with the engine hot see what happens when the temp **** is turned to cold and again when its turned to hot. If it gets nice and hot when turned all the way to hot and room temp when on cold I would say the actuator is working and I would look at the air compressor next. To do that you also check under the hood if the Ac compressor cycles on when you turn temp to cold and turn the AC button on.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:01 PM

Thank you for the explanation. It does make sense. I believe that is what we did. In getting a little closer, I can hear the actuator working. In talking to a friend who is a mechanic, his concern is the door itself is damaged or broken. It is my understanding that if true, the whole dash has to come out to replace it. Now and before the actuator was replaced, when the **** is all the way to warm it does not blow hot air. Same with when the **** is all the way to cool, it does not blow cold air. If I turn the ac on, it will put out cooler air than the vent, but nothing like it did previously. If on vent, it just stays semi warm, semi cool no matter where the **** is turned.

Hope this helps explain further.

Thanks!!

Old 04-30-2020, 12:12 PM

Ok in that case this is what I would do, easier assuming you have the old actuator still.
Remove the new actuator and see if you can move the door by hand, they are not hard to move, that little motor has to do it all the time so you shouldnt have to force it.
The reason its easier if you have the old actuator would be to cut the drive shaft off the old one and use that to try and turn the blend door since it will fit into the keyed door and that may be easier then trying to do it with a screw driver which could possibly damage it so the actuator wont go back in. You could also have the actuator in hand and with it plugged in change the temp, dont go to fast or I have been told that you could break it.
If the blend door doesnt move then yes unfortunately the the dash has to come out and the AC case gets replaced.