Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Default camshaft position sensor

I need help locating a cam position sensor on a 2003 f-150 4.2 v6 Autozone tells me that it is bad, code PO340, can anyone tell me where on the engine it is located, how hard is it to install, any secrets that i should know about, is there a good online store to buy the parts from. please help!! tony

Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: camshaft position sensor

CMP sits on top of the cam synchronizer.. Front L/H, topside.. Here's a pic...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/C6B225EFF1BD4A3D937335E1C692DEBC.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the pic, after locating it on my engine, it looks to be a straight forward install, however after reading a thread of a similar cps failure there was the comment made of a chirping sound. I recently replaced an Idler pully because of this but guess what, the chirp was still there at times, any info on the repair to that! bet it's not so straight forward huh!!? Tony

Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

The chirping comes from the shaft within the synchronizerand the housing itself running dry, lack of lubrication.. If the assembly runs dry and chirps, it can be easier detected/diagnosed by using a listing device like a stethoscope, long screw driver, or an extension and place it against the base of the synchronizer and/or body to verify the origin.. Could be a few other reasons for a 'chirp' and the synchronizer should be checked prior to any replacement.. A chirping/squeaking sychronizer usually won't set a DTC.. Could be the CMP itself, connector, or harness issues as well.. If you find that your sychronizer is failing, it is clocked/timed and it is a little more involved to change out than the CMP.. There's an alighmnet tool for the install, but you can 'carefully' scribe/mark the sychronizer body to engineblock, and shaft position to sychronizer body and complete the install without the tool.. Notteribly hard to do with basic tools....

Old 10-21-2007, 08:59 PM

thanks for the replys every one, now that I have my hands on a new shiny Hayes manual, I guessIm off to the ford dealer for my parts, none of the parts houses have the parts listed for this fix, any help on cross over applications?, I've read that the same part fits many different models of ford. thanks , tony

Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM

I know this is waaaay after your needing this info, butI replaced one on my for $40 from rockauto.com. This is for the syncronizer, cap and tool. The job is not too complicated either...

romeodz