Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Electic problem ?? PCM ?? IDK

Old 09-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Default Electic problem ?? PCM ?? IDK

Update truck is fixed thank again all

Hello all, new to Ford forums, have 2012 F150 XLT 4x4, love this truck only had for 2 years been real good to me. but in countered a problem and am lost on it.

3 days ago went outside started truck rolled up windows for the night turned off, no problem,

1 day ago, went out truck completely dead, tested batt, tested good, ran charger on slow charge over night.

today, checked truck batt still good. but nothing works. no lights anywear would come on, had to leave for a bit , came back, went to check out truck doom lights came on marker light came on when i opened the door, i thought well. maybe it works now, stuck key and turned to acc. whole truck went dead again nothing,, , i checked over the fuses all looks good. really have no clue what is going on. never had a problem with it befor, no check lights came on. nothing on the screen deplay came on. any thoughts

Last edited by Eric Bartholomew; 09-03-2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: truck fixed
Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Hi Eric,
Did you get a chance to check the battery cable connections. Sometimes they look good and there can be hidden corrosion between the cable terminal clamps and the battery posts. Wouldn't hurt to remove them negative cable first , clean both the terminals and the battery posts and reinstall the negative terminal last. If that solves the problem , allow the engine to idle a few minutes before raising the engine speed.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 PM

Hello Hanky,, thanks for the thought , i did check the cables and got power going to the fuse box in front of engine, but will clean and reinstall and see if any diff,

Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Got the battery cleaned off had a little bit of corrosion on it. did not help the problem, also notices this time around, ( head alot clearer and was able to think) the whole system shuts down when i put the key in the igintion, then after a bit it rest and doom light lights come on when i open the door, so thinking it might be bad igintion switch ????

Old 09-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Ignition switch should have no effect on the dome light, but poor power supply from the
battery and high resistance from a poor connection supplying the power to the vehicle fuse panel will affect everything the minute you place any kind of electrical load on the system.
There are modules that control electrical functions like windows, door locks accessories etc,. If no poor connection is found it may require a scan tool to do further checks and check "module health".

Old 09-02-2017, 06:19 PM

Am able to get a ride into town on sunday so will bring my bat and have it tested just to make sure got rule out the simple stuff, tks for the help and comments,

Old 09-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Took the battery in for testing came back Pass , Pass , Fail on auto zone system, got new battery all seems good now, thank all for the help, Now that i found this group i like it, will be trolling around learning stuff

Old 09-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Thank You for the update.
Glad you solved the problem.
I'm still learning too!