Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

F-150 Lariat 2018 Fx4

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Default F-150 Lariat 2018 Fx4

Hello Forum,

This is my first post ever in a car community forum of sorts, but after discovering something on the new F150, I feel compelled to share my story. I recently purchased a new F150 Lariat Fx4 with the 501a technology package. I also received the newly upgraded sound system they unveiled this year with B/O. The truck rides and performs great and the sound great. The issue I noticed was a "high" pitched feedback sound in the cab after prolonged driving. To the point, it was beginning to drive me a bit mad. The sound is there before you start the car and continues up until you leave the vehicle. I brought it to one dealership where they could not pinpoint or hear the sound. After further searching, I was able to find a dealership that did, in fact, hear the sound. They replaced the tweeters and the whole stereo system to no avail. The sound persisted. A high pitch stereo feedback sound, almost equivalent to a high pitched dog whistle, consistent and maddening. After a few weeks at the dealership, they decided the bring the exact make and model of my truck with the upgraded sound system. This truck not only had the same sound, it appeared to be louder. I recently left the dealership with the sound still occurring, but I feel much better knowing it is for certain coming from the tweeters after placing my ear directly on the speaker. I am going to unhook the tweeters to see if this solves the problem once and for all. I have been on the phone with both the dealership and Ford corporate. I have another call with Ford on Monday to go over if this will be a recall or what the next steps are.

I want to reach out to this forum to 1. make anyone aware that is looking at this model of the truck with the upgraded Soundsystem and 2. hopefully find others that are beginning to experience this problem as these trucks begin to hit the streets.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Update. It is in fact the tweeters producing a feedback sound. I unhooked the tweeters and the problem is solved. After speaking with Ford, this will be a recall coming down the pipe if enough people are experiencing the same problems. I did hear it in a new like truck.

The issue is due to the fact that the tweeters are power from a different source than the door speakers and subwoofer. The tweeters draw power from a module while the remaining speakers are hooked up to an amp.

I will keep the group updated with the ongoing conversation with Ford and hope to help or hear from others who have heard or may be experiencing the same issue. Please let me know.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Good stuff, thanks for the update..

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 PM

I found a similar issue that ford did a recall for in the 2018 expedition and lincoln navigator.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3227/loud-hi...coln-navigator