Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

F-150 V8 Vs F150 Eco-Boost

Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Unhappy F-150 V8 Vs F150 Eco-Boost

Hello all, I'm new on this Forum and hope to get some advice. I already own an F150 4x2 3.55 3.5L Eco-Boost. I originally bought it to pull a 27ft boat from time to time topping out at @ 6800 lbs.

My wife now needs a new veh but also would like a truck. Decision time. My thought is to give her my almost 1 year old truck.. and make a decision to buy either a 4x4 3.73 5.0L V8 or another Eco-Boost 4x4 3.73 3.55L V6.

While I know or read that there isn't that much difference in both the horsepower and torque in both vehicles... Which would be the better choice between the two vehicles..???

Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Default F-150 V8 Vs F150 Eco-Boost

Having already spent considerable cash on a Platimum Eco Boost super crew, I would say given what you are planning on towing I would not invest the money on the eco boost. It too sensitive with no guarantee of getting great fuel economy. Don't opt for the larger tires and nothing more than a 355 axle is necessary. I purchased the maximum trailer tow package and 373 axle and so far the fuel economy with the eco boost has been nothing to brag about; frankly I have been down right disappointed!!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Default Nod to the EcoBoost

If you are only towing the boat on the occasional weekend and not on a daily basis, the EcoBoost will provide the best fuel economy over the long run. Either way, go with the 3.73 gears for better power delivery pulling out of boat ramps and merging traffic. EB will smoke the V8 in trailer-to-trailer tow contest. Been there, done that. Fuel economy when towing are probably going to be about the same when towing, maybe an edge to the EB on the flatlands.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM

I have a month old (1200 miles) Eco-boost, it's still new. I get 17-18 mpg in city and 23mpg on highway

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM

I currently have a 2012 F150 Super Crew /Eco Boost with 373 axle with the addition of a cab high Lear cap. While I'd like to boost good fuel economy, I have not experienced what some say they are getting. This platform should deliver 15/16 cty and 20/21 hwy. Ford and the EPA advertise 14/21 with a combined MPG of 17. Unfortunately, I have not seen this type of mileage but I fear I am dealing with a problem vehicle. What I have experienced, however, is this power train is extremely tempermental. When it comes to torque, however, the Eco boost torque curve is almost double that of let say the 5.0 ltr in the low range making it extremely strong for pulling loads. You cannot, however, run the highway above 70 mph without experiencing serve fuel economy loss and you cannot run with the cruise control on like you would the non-eco boost platforms. Due to the design, the turbos will spool up thus reducing the overall MPG. Your almost better to drive it without cruise control.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM

I'd sure be interested in knowing where you reside as terrain and altitude can definitely impact MPG. I am running a 2012 Platinum F150 4x4 Super Crew with 373 axle ratio and am not getting anything like you are experiencing. Comments like yours is why I bought the Eco Boost power train but, unfortunately, am not getting more than 12.8/13.8 city and 16.8/17.0 highway given 6000 miles of driving.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Default Caution Eco Boost Platform

Originally Posted by Bassboats
If you are only towing the boat on the occasional weekend and not on a daily basis, the EcoBoost will provide the best fuel economy over the long run. Either way, go with the 3.73 gears for better power delivery pulling out of boat ramps and merging traffic. EB will smoke the V8 in trailer-to-trailer tow contest. Been there, done that. Fuel economy when towing are probably going to be about the same when towing, maybe an edge to the EB on the flatlands.
While Ford advertising campaign did boast incredible mileage for the Eco Boost platform a year and a half ago, DON'T BE REAL QUICK ABOUT that purchase until you know the whole story. The eco boost is tempermental and has many issues that have resulted in completely a different ads being posted including a recent tow article in Motor Trend showing their average overall at 13.7 mpg.
Having owned a SC 4x4 with 373 axle ratio and max trailer tow for 5 1/2 months I too have experienced lousy mileage and have not been able to get any FSE support form Ford to date. While this issue does exist, little is being done to address this and gets as little press as possible. I for one would opt for a different power train.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Njbasshunter
I have a month old (1200 miles) Eco-boost, it's still new. I get 17-18 mpg in city and 23mpg on highway
In general your comments regarding exceptional fuel economy, I A S S U M E relates to basic eco-boost platform. I have come to learn eoc-boost comes in many flavors including maximum trailer tow which DOES NOT deliver equal to what you have reported. My expectations have fallen drastically since buying a max trailer tow , 373 axle 4x4 Super Crew platform which delivers 2.5 miles per gallon less both city and highway as well as averages 14.2 at best tank to tank. If you are up to it it would benefit other potential buyers if you could elaborate your vehcile platform ( ie: 2 wheel drive, 4x4 super crew, or regular bed, axle ratio etc.)

Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Default 3.5 eb twin turbo super crew

I have just bought a 2012 used had 115k ml on it got rotten mpg 14.8
Changed the plugs gapped at .028 and came up to 18.2 then installed a new product designed just recently called a DNA module. Now getting 20.5 Ave 41.4mph classified as city mileage over the last 876 mls. I also had to disconnect the battery cables for 5 minutes then put the positive cable on the negative cable as it was attached to the battery to reset the computer and throddle body when I changed the plugs.then drove it without stomping on it for 10 miles. To reprogram the transmission. I'm a mechanic by trade

Last edited by Ambient; 10-25-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: A! Info
Old 08-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Wow...that's amazing. Did any of that effect performance in any other way? I'm always scared to mess with stuff like that for fear of making other things worse to get bet MPG.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-150 V8 Vs F150 Eco-Boost