Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Misfire and Rough Idle with No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Default F150 Misfire and Rough Idle with No Codes

I have a 2001 F150 with a 5.4L. At take off the truck cuts out horribly and sometimes within certain MPH ranges it cuts out! It also will idle rough once in awhile and then the rpms will go up by itself and the rough idle will go away. The only problem with all of this is I dont have a check engine light on so I dont know what the heck the problem is! Someone help me please!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Default RE: F150 Misfire and Rough Idle with No Codes

hey sandman, trust me I know how aggrevated you are. My f150 has been doing it for two months. I have gotten so many answers. The most common is having to do with the transmission. People have also said that it could be the fuel filter..... I haven't tried changing the filter yet but I have changed my transmission fluid filter and transmission fluid with no change...... If you hear anything else please let me know.....

also puzzled

Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Default RE: F150 Misfire and Rough Idle with No Codes

Hey Coffeyday,
I actually figured it out! It was my coil packs.... The boots on them were cracked and split and causing my spark plugs to arc and misfire! It was an easy fix cuz you can buy just the boots and coils and Autozone for $5 each one... You should try taking a look at that! My truck is running stronger than hell now!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Default coil pack

My 2001 F150 was doing the same thing, very intermittently. I read your post on this forum so when I took it to the mechanic my neighbor recommended I said, "someone told me that I should have you check the boots in the coil pack" and she pretty much dismissed it saying, "we will hook it up to our diagnostic tool and see what it says. Later they gave me an estimate of 6 hours labor to replace a sensor and to remove and replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Two DAYS later and $800 poorer, they call and tell me that it is still running ragged and it needs an ignition coil. Disgrunted I paid them, picked up my truck which was running 5 times worse than when I brought it to them and have dropped it off at a place that I trust. What an expensive mistake I made by taking it there, and how wrong of them not to listen to my request and check that first before depending solely on the diagnostic test. I am very discouraged. We will see what the other place finds out tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 AM

I think you owe your neighbor a nice cup of cold coffee.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM

After spending $800 and still not fixed and waiting to hear how much I'll be spending at the next place there is no money for luxuries like coffee!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM

A cup of hot good coffee might be considered a luxury. A cup of rotten cold coffee would hardly be considered a luxury if you get my drift.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM

most shops over complicate things and think that the owner of the car truck doesn't know a thing about the car truck they drive. and when they do that they tend to forget the simple stuff that makes the engine run

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM

I did get your drift, Hanky, and appreciate your comic relief! I'm feeling better today as the truck seems to be fixed. The second place where I left it took it for several test drives during the day,could never get it to "act up" and everything checked out to be fine. I wonder if they tightened some screw that the other place had forgotten or some small step like that. All I know is when I picked it up from the first place it was running terrible and misfiring like it thought it was the 4th of July and then I pick it up the next day and it's running great and the 2nd shop contends they did nothing and charged nothing for their time. The service engine light is off.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 AM

Glad you're happy with the new shop and the performance of your truck.
Sometimes and this happens often believe it or not.
A shop can do a lot of work on a vehicle and overlook one small thing and the vehicle runs terrible. Another shop can do very little, if anything, on the same job and they come out the hero! We have all been there at one time or another and those are the times we would like to forget. Have a happy holiday !

Quick Reply: F150 Misfire and Rough Idle with No Codes