Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Huge problem-need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Default Huge problem-need help/advice

Ok, I own a 1997 F-150 and the past few days I have been having this problem:

When I try to start it the key completely turns and there is no ignition at all, not any sound of it even trying to start, all of my dash lights come on, headlights will turn on etc. The past few times i have gotten it to start i just kept trying or took my key out, waited a few minutes and tried again and it starts right up.

The only thing i can think of is the battery is low, which i doubt because it is fairly new, or the connections for the battery have gone bad. But i have no vehicle mechanical experience whatsoever. I am afraid to go any long distances and I want to know if this is something i can fix without paying an arm and a leg for at a shop. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Default RE: Huge problem-need help/advice

I sometimes have the same problem with my 2000 F-150. It started after I had a remote start put in. When it does it to me (not very often)I just hit the unlock button (on the key chain)several times in succesion and then the truck starts fine. My truck has had this problem for a few years now but it has always started with the aboveprocess.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 AM

Try cleaning the battery terminals and connectors. These sometimes oxidize and will not allow enough amperage to flow for the starter to turn, but all lights and everythign else will work fine. The sympom fordirty battery terminals is all lights work fine, but

1. Sometimes starts fine
2. Starter turns slow
3.Will not turn but relay will clicks
4. Sometimes nothing happens at all with the relay/starter.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:13 PM

Try checking the wires connecting the starter, i had something similar happen to mine, only i would up buying the starter ahead of time when in actuality during installation i noticed one of the wires came loose and was a little beat up. good luck.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 PM

check all of your ground wires going to you engine. had one in the shop that was doing the exact same thing and it turned out to be the ground wire coming off fire wall to the back side of engine was broke in half.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Use Common Sense

Try cleaning the battery terminals and connectors. These sometimes oxidize and will not allow enough amperage to flow for the starter to turn, but all lights and everythign else will work fine. The sympom fordirty battery terminals is all lights work fine, but

1. Sometimes starts fine
2. Starter turns slow
3.Will not turn but relay will clicks
4. Sometimes nothing happens at all with the relay/starter.
Agreed.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Could also be some intermittent contacts in your ignition switch.