Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

just bought, now need help starting

Old 10-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Default just bought, now need help starting

hey guys, im new here so thanks for the help. I just bought myself a 97 f150 V6 4.2 2wheel rear wheel 5 spd stand .

the truck is great, runs amazing, no clicking or banging, runs smooth very happy with eveything. unfortinutly it has showen a problem since it became cold.

when i go to start the truck, sometimes it wont start, it clicks and wants to turn over but it wont. i thought the starter was broken but i took it in and they said it was fine, i dont have money to let the mechanics figure it out so i need your help. i found that when the problem comes up i can bypass it by holding the key in the start position and then as fast as i can pushing and realeasing the clutch untill finanly it makes a turn over and starts. sometimes ill have to push and release the clutch over 50 times till it starts, other times only once. but the problem is not consistent, sometimes i can go 2 weeks without the problem occuring and then it might show up again for 1 day. sorry if im not clear. the only thing i can think of is a starter solinoid. but i dont know for sure. this is my first truck and domestic vehicle. so some help would be truly great.

and when it gets really cold out ( -10) , the truck also strugles to make full turn overs ( when its not already haveing the above problem ) ... could that be the battery? or should i also consider this having something to do with the above problem?

just to note.... the battery is brand new

thanks so much guys.

Danny

Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: just bought, now need help starting

Your probably correct on the solenoid.. If it were the 'clutch pedal position' sensor (clutch safety switch) mounted on the clutch pedal rod, it wouldn't click or engage the solenoid if it weren't making the connect.. But might be worth a look to make sure the circuit isn't dropping out.. Your truck should have not only a starter solenoid mounted on the starter itself, but/and a starter motor solenoid relay (looks like an older style solenoid) as well.. If the starter was check for function, then the relay may be the issue..

-10!!! Burrrrr... If the battery is new, my next question would be how many cranking amp batt. was installed.. That low of temps would require a high cranking amp/reserve batt.. If this truck was used in sub zero conditions consistantly, then I'd concider a warmer, batt., dipstick, pan ect..

Old 10-11-2006, 11:17 AM

In the past I have replaced several of the clutch safety switches, for doing just the same thing,,, also check your wiring where it plugs on to the switch, seen the ends of the term. loose an sloppy.

Also another often over looked cheap part is the lil nylon, plastic bushing on the clutch rod, pedal shaft,, Most times those are gone causing excessive play in the linkage,, On ones that the lil bushing has been bad on for some time ,, Ive had to replace the clutch rod with Master cause its egg shapped,,,, An also the lil metal stub on pedal is worn badly,, U can get these lil bushings at any nickel an dime parts store for like $2.00 bucks,,, So crawl up under the dash an with a flashlight lightly engage an disengage the clutch pedal looking for play in the linkage ..

On your starting issue in the cold-- as Hayapower suggested you need to see if you have the correct CCA battery for the truck. Lots of folks will throw a $29.00 battery in a vechile an it will start fine in the summer months but be a real dog in the cooler weather ....

Also check your battery cable ends , are they clean an tight ,, havent been replaced by lil tiny cables,,, or one of those cheap piece of crap battery cable ends that you cut the old battery term off , peel the wire back an then use 2 bolts to hook it to the cable ????? Finally when you get the ole girl to spin over how long does it take it to finally start -- may need new spark plugs

Old 10-14-2006, 03:08 PM

thanks guys. that helped me a lot. i priced out a starter solinude and im looking at 23 canadian. so ill get on top of that this weekend. Bad news though... truck was broken into on friday. im a carpenter and all my tools were stolen.. i even had a viper alarm system that did nothing for me. the truck was parked less then 40 feet from my pager and the pager never notified me of the break in .... o well. its a fact of life.....

have a good one

Danny