Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Default Paint Problems

My truck is black and was bought with 3 defective areas where the paint is missing. Each area has 2 spots that are 1/8" in diameter and are about 1" apart from each other, so in essence there are 6 places where the paint is missing and looks similar to a chip but is not a chip because there are no scratches or small dents in each of these areas. The areas are located at the front top of hood, on the side of the truck located high on the passenger door just under the window, and on the bed of the truck above the wheel well approx. 8" from the top of the bed, areas where you wouldn't normally get a chip. I mentioned this to my salesman when I bought it and he said to just bring it in at my convenience.
Now that I have brought it in to Ford, they are saying that it is not under warranty. At first (when I brought it in initially) they approved the fixing of the paint. Then I made the appointment to bring it in 2 weeks later in which I was informed that engineering had called and said that it was not under warranty. It's clear to see that there are no scratches or dents and that these 3 area where there are 2 spots of paint missing is a factory defect. I have a hard time understanding how FORD ENGINEERING can VOID the warranty when they haven't seen the truck except for the 3 pictures that were sent from the dealership in which it was initially approved by FORD.
The customer service manager Janet Employee # 215780 I spoke to told me that all I could do was to write a letter to GREG COTTRELL (Customer Service Manager) and hope that he would reinstate their warranty.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to get Ford to Honor their warranty, besides posting my problem all over the internet?

Baseballpat17

Old 07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

What years the truck, 18?
How long of time passed from when it was purchased till the marks were pointed out to the selling dealer?
Can you post some images of the chipped areas? Chips in the clear coat?, only into the paint color, or completely chipped down into the primer showing?
If it were a few days or so, preferably less, it may be pretty hard for them to deny. But if it were weeks that passed etc before being reported a lot can happen to paint be it stone chips, chemical damages, scratches and such and may be some arm wrestling. Even damage that may have occurred with the truck unattended or not driven can pop up. Not that that was your case.
Paint can easily chip from small airborn stones without causing a dent or scratch. Belt buckles, jeans rivets, kids at times, all potential offenders.
But given the location near the leading edge of the hood, or around wheel well areas would be more common for stone damages. Not siding with Ford,, at all, but this may be their contention point.
If new, the warranty is still in affect for body paint and/or any “quality issues” within the warranty period. They’ve just denied this claim.
There are times that paint may blister, be thin, or have adhesion issues, but generally not tiny random chips.
Given the size of the chipped area, it may not be necessary to paint the panels complete. A good shop or even the mobile paint touch up/detailers may be able to correct issues at a decent price if Ford stands firm on not helping you out...

Nothing worse that noticing the first chips or a new vehicle, or any fresh paint.....
Post some images so we can see the damage..