Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Problem with 86 f150 starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Default Problem with 86 f150 starting

ford f150 86 won't start and ignition coil and module have been replaced, but no power coming from coil. I have tested for power and I know juice is getting to the coil but there is nothing coming from the coil and I just replaced it. I also just replaced the control module. I just don't get the needed spark for the fuel. Solenoid is good, starter is good. A bit frustrated to say the least. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Do I need to replace speak plugs? Still not an answer for not getting anything from coil though.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 PM

The only way the coil knows to fire is when the distributor signals the coil. It does this through the pick-up coil in the dist. You might want to check that pick-up coil in the dist for having a good ground connection and if it does check it for being open. You will need to remove the dist to replace it. One thing you can check before doing anything else is , remove the dist cap and have someone crank the engine just enough to see if the shaft in the dist turns. If that's OK continue checking the pick_up coil.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Default Thanks

I appreciate the help. I will do this tomorrow and post back my findings. Could the connection be bad between the distributor and the ignition coil? Curious...

Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Default Same old thing...

Ok, I replaced the distributor, spark plugs along with the ignition module and the ignition coil from earlier. I am still getting the same old thing. I turn the key and it cranks and cranks and cranks. I am getting fuel to the engine and with the replacements I should be getting the engine to turn over. It seems to me that the problem is actually electrical and not mechanical...go figure. I am at a complete loss at this point as to where the problem is or why I am not getting spark or why the engine is not attempting to turn over. Any ideas now? My next move will be to bury the darn thing or shoot it.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Default I need help please, out of work and need truck running

I double checked the plug wires so that they are connected correctly since I replaced spark plugs and distributor and module and ignition coil. I cannot get this thing to start and I need it running so I can start getting an income again. Been out of work for four months. I don't have the money to take it into a shop and I am trying to teach myself what to do. I can get it to crank but it will never turn over. I figure if it is trying to crank then it is not the starter. Battery has full charge. Distributor wires are new and connected. I need some ideas please as what to do next. I'm frustrated to say the least.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Instead of sending you all over the place checking stuff, There are some questions that need to be answered.
When you replaced the plug wires did you replace them one at a time?
When you removed the distributor and replaced it , did you get the rotor pointing in exactly the same location as the old dist?
Can you remove one or two spark plugs and see if they are soaked with gasoline?
What was your initial problem before you started replacing parts?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Default Still trying

I replaced plug wires one at a time. I'm a novice to say the least at this stuff. I replaced distributor, distributor cap, and rotor. Problem is the marker I used rubbed off completely and all my marks were gone. I used a Haynes manual for firing order to connect plug wires to distributor cap, but I completely forgot about checking exact position of the rotor. Now I have a small oil leak to figure out. Problem remains that the truck cranks when I turn the ignition but that is all. When I took out the spark plugs you could see some oil and smell fuel.

I've read several posts from others and have read everything from what I've done so far to sensor malfunction. This has me shaking my head as to what to do next. Could it be alternator, fuse, or something completely different? Fuel pump works as I am string fuel.

Thanks for responding.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Default correction

Sorry, I hate it when my computer auto corrects words. I meant to say that my fuel pump works as I am getting fuel.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Every so often we get one of these problems and the procedure to correct it is a little lengthy, but we do come here to help if we can,,,,,,,,so I will try to describe the procedure to hopefully correct one of the problems.
It would help if we knew which engine you have in the vehicle.
The first thing you will need to do is to remove the spark plug for # 1 cylinder.
Then take the coil wire out of the cap and place it so the spark it might produce when you will be cranking the engine has a direct path to ground , any metal part of the engine.
Now when you crank the engine you will hear and feel a pressure build up at that # 1 cylinder. Note the direction the engine rotates and when you feel the pressure (compression stroke) starting stop- using the starter to turn over the engine and continue turning the engine over manually (sometimes you can use the alternator pulley to turn it over manually) until the mark on the crankshaft pulley TDC lines up precisely with the pointer over the pulley. This is the point where #1 spark plug is supposed to fire. Let us know if you understand everything so far.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Default so far...

I think so, but how do you know direction it rotates? Also, since replacing distributor I have an oil leak now.

Quick Reply: Problem with 86 f150 starting