Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solnoid pack problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Default solnoid pack problem?

Sorry but I have another tranny question. I have bang going into reverse, going to drive and on the road a hard first second shift.
Does it sound likely that there is a problem with the solenoid pack? ?
Thanks
Grumpy

Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM

We learn to never say , never and this can apply to solenoids too.

Usually if a solenoid fails it usually fails stuck on or stuck off for whatever reason.They do direct hydraulic oil to the proper places at the designated time based on inputs to the controls. One solenoid you might want to look into further would be the electronic pressure control solenoid that is pulse width controlled to regulate pressures within the system. That's why we can't say never and if not working properly could be producing problems. The best way is to do pressure and control testing, which you most likely are not equipped to do.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Thanks Hanky; I pulled the pan and have most of the valve body pieces off , need to get the solenoid pack off but from the looks it needs cleaning so bad that I may be wasting my time. I think I will still clean good and check all the valves and put in a solenoid pack and new dex mercon and give it a shot. still much cheaper than a new reman for the truck and it might just work. an old friend that was very wise said once that dirty causes the majority of all mechanical problems.
Thanks for all the tips I will keep you posted
Grumpy

Old 05-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Was there ever any DTC/s retrieved?
Miles on the unit?
Excessive debris collected on the magnet, or suspended in the fluid?

The solenoid pack doesn’t require the valve body to be removed to swap it out. If the body is dropped, replace the VB and separator plate gaskets. Also matching visually, and by part number. Wrong or damaged VB gaskets as well as missing or wrong placement of check ***** has derailed many a good unit...

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-04-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:11 AM

Thanks hayapower;
since you mention it I have a couple questions. I pulled the body to clean the valves and all I knew I didn't need to to pull solenoids but the thing is full of crud and I don't have much to lose to clean it and give it a try , not even sure it needs solenoids but will see.
I do need added info if you can . the gaskets on the plate. I have to replace the one is torn so there are like 9 *****. since the tranny is in the vehicle and ***** are hanging any tips on how to keep them in while assembling and any map of location of all them??? I have the ford factory repair manual but so far haven't found a way to locate them in there. There is no doubt in my mind since I have done this type work before years ago that they will all try to go on vacation when that plate drops.
Thanks for any info you can share
Grumpy

Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Generally code/s will be generated with solenoid issues.

I’ll send some shop info on the check ball locations to your email.

When doing a unit on the bench, it’s always a good idea to scribe a mark ‘X’ at each ball location.
The EPC shuttle steel ball is spring loaded, it’s back towards the rear of the plate. When you start to lower the separator plate, keep an eye on it.
There's also a small screen forward on the plate. Might check the torque on the feed bolts since your right there..
The OE VB gaskets had inked part numbers on them. I’d suggest going back with OE just to help reduce confusion. And ‘always’ overlay the old to new gaskets to check for correct and matched stampings. More so if aftermarket replacements..
With the unit installed,, use Vasoline ‘liberally’ in the ball wells to hold them in place. When the pump pressurizes the trans, the Vasoline quickly disperses...

Did the harsh engagements develop fairly rapidly?

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-04-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:23 PM

OP what year, engine, trans do you have?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:02 AM

The truck and as far as I know, since it was a one owner, tranny and engine all are 1994.
Thanks Grumpy

Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
op what year, engine, trans do you have?
94,5.8, e4

Old 05-14-2020, 11:10 AM

yes it is 1994 with 5.8 and a e40d

Quick Reply: solnoid pack problem?