Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question but need help with UV Dye.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 04:33 PM
Default Stupid Question but need help with UV Dye.

Hi, I have a 2001 F150 Super-crew (5.4 V8) and I think I have a small coolant leak, and possibly a small oil leak. I have used a florescent/UV dye on a different car that helped find a coolant leak by showing up as a NEON green/yellow color where the coolant leak was, so I plan on getting the same dye. My question is if they have any florescent Blue or Red, or another color besides the neon green/yellow, to mix with the engine oil so I can find any oil leak without confusing it with the neon green/yellow coolant dye? My son will come over and help me look but he said to get different color UV dyes for the coolant and the engine oil so we can isolate any & all leaks at the same time. I should say that this truck had an oil leak before so there is still some oil sludge/residue still on the motor, otherwise the oil leak would be easier to find. My neighbor down the street, a long retired mechanic, said there are some other different coolant color dyes but he can't remember anymore about them. Does anyone here know of the different color UV dye's that can be used for checking for the coolant, and the oil leaks. Also, just wondering but is there a different color for transmission fluid? What about power steering fluid? If anyone knows or has any suggestions, please let me know. because it is very hard for me to get my son to come over and help me so i have to get all the leak detection done at the same time (that's why I need the different color dye's).

Thanks in advance to all ho help

Old 01-18-2021, 11:25 AM

It might be quicker if you checked with the places that sell those indicators like NAPA,, OReillys,,,Advance or maybe Autozone.