Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission terms...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Default transmission terms...

Ok so I have been poking around and I need too understand something.

Is shudder (the washboard feeling) a long event... how many ribs of the washboard do you feel?

shudder too me means side to side movement, it cant be that... what happens to your body when it happens.. do you feel a series of bumps like the road is rough or like the breaks came on for split seconds?

I ask because I have some odd behaviors in my 93 5.0ltr 8 4x4 with 100,000
and I don't know how too describe them. I shift 1-2 at 15 or so, then 2-3 at 30ish, but 3-4 seems to wander and at times not happen into the 50's,

from 3-4 the up shift seems to happen and the truck slows slightly, (you feel the loss of momentum for a moment) then continues on....

and at times going from acceleration to coasting the truck seems to be in too low a gear for an automatic trans, as if I was down shifting too brake not up shifting to roll.

also the peddle seems to have a broad dead spot, at speed it takes pushing it to the floor to get it too upshift and a heavy foot to maintain speed on an uphill...

are these (please say yes, please say yes ) TPS symptoms

Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM

The shudder is the washboard feeling you get as if you are running over the little grooves in the edges of roads to wake you up if you run over them. It only lasts a second or so. Your symptoms could be a TPS, or possibly a mis adjusted TV9kickdown) cable. Try adjusting the cable, and testing the TPS for proper operation. www.autozone.com has a lot of free diagnostic and replacement information.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM

thank you for your attention sir

I am trying to ID my transmission

The door code says T.... the only list I can find says a T is a cruise-o-matic

I do have a kick down cable..so that rules out a E4OD I think

My selector reads 1-D-OD-N-R... so ... that seems like a C6 ...but I thought C6 had no overdrive.

what ever the heck it is it pulls real well up high... it just seems to struggle in the 40-60 range with the symptoms I tried to describe above... any advice would be great

Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trans code 'T' is an AOD..

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 PM

thank you very much... you guys are the greatest....

Old 04-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Speaking of the greatest...
Way 2 Old .... you rock...

I found my kickdown cable with a lot of tension on the pivot and set it too a neutral point as shown here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

and the behavior of my truck has been much improved, I may have a touch of shudder and hope a fluid and filter change may help.

I do still have what a precieve as a problem with the throttle... I need to really get on it to get passing speed, or to maintain speed on an uphill grade. When I push it 85% to the floor it will roar and pull well ...if a bit loud.... but there is no steady easy hill climb for this truck.... its a slow sag in speed and momentum untill I floor it and we go up the hill.

My gas mileage is crap too.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 AM

The shudder isn't related to the tps or cable and any adjustments or replacement parts you throw at it that aren't a brand new transmission with a brand new torque convertor and have the crank replaced in the engine. Okay i exaggerated a little but i've owned several vehicles with aod transmissions and everyone of them has had torque convertor shudder. Its a complex process but ford issued a bulletin covering every aod transmission ever made and goes like this: ford v8 with aod, input shaft in the transmission is slightly out of round which causes a pulse in the transmission, so now you have a torque convertor that's overheating because of poor fluid quality or flow. now at the same time all this is happening the input shaft and torque convertor are out of round now and that throws the end of the crank out of round which causes the reaR main seal to leak. and that's the story of ford

Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Marquis, could you tell me the TSB number that you talk about, because I don't remember seeing anything like that and I would like to add that to my information list. Thank you.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Default yikes!!!

er... thats a pretty depressing post there marquis... but I am not sure my problem is shudder... at least not as its been described.

My problems... the ones burning at the moment are...shifting from 3 to four it feels as though the revs drop and when 4th engages the truck slows for a second or so like the front wheels stuck in honey then it runs along fine

number two is bad gas milage and a seemingly dead throttle in third or fourth in an uphill, steep or not. the truck has to loose a good 10 miles and hour(no tach) ( change in throttle affects nothing) before it shifts down and runs fine or I have to floor it..literaly push it to the bottom and it shifts and runs right up the hill ...

either that or the 302 5.0 liter ford is a badly underpowered gas hog in the f150.

I just picked the old girl up, my first ford....so its all new too me

I have discovered the connection between egr and cat is swiss cheese and I am beginning to suspect some emissions or engine control system is screwed.

but it has no CEL and I am at a loss.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 AM

I will find the tsb for you because i saw it in alldata when looking for info on valve bodies on my old 89 grand marquis and stumbled on it. As for the 302 i've owned several of those too. Underpowered? lets talk about 4 catalytic conveRtor that may most likely be plugged or other afterthought emissions related b.s. that got slapped on to a once perfectly good powerplant like egr valves and the little mini air compressor smog pump and you've tweaked a 300 plus horsepower monster down to a pathetic 150. Same story with my old 300 6. Remove all the crap and your engine screams a sigh of relief. Another thing is you could have a kickdown out of adjustment or a sticking 3-4 valve or bad spring. To be perfectly honest with you i'd rather replace a valve body than adjust the kickdown any day. Do you live in a state where emissions are enforced?

Quick Reply: transmission terms...