Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Default wont shift

My son just bought a 89 f150 shorty,v/8 ,4 spd overdrive. Came to a stop street and down shifted and nothing. Clutch is good but will not shift in any gear? 101,00 miles and well maintained
Amsoilman1

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Your post is confusing.
Just what do you mean nothing? If you are getting nothing, how do know the clutch is good?
Is this a vehicle with 4 wheel drive and the lever just slipped into neutral?
Are you having difficulty getting it into gear or after putting it in gear and letting up on the clutch nothing happens? Please be a little more specific. Thanks

Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Default wont shift

Hanky: It will not shift into any gear. Shifter feels like linkage is locked up.No forward motion,no side to side motion Locked up in neutral. Clutch is 3000 miles old and pressure plate also replaced. Running or not it will NOT shift at all. Shifting forks a issue on this model? I thought I was specific.NOTHING ..Neutral and shifter will not move inany direction enough to catch a gear.
Amsoilman1

Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM

The best way to possibly solve this problem is to remove the top of the trans. Then you will be able to see what happened. Sometimes the interlock ball for the shift rail will allow two rails to both move and jam. Possibly a shift fork moved and jammed the rail. If you carefully remove the cover you should be able to see what happened. I don't believe it to be anything serious just a pain to go through and remove the shift tower/cover. Let us know what you find. Thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 PM

ford car complies with its original new Ford specification, including tool kit, spare keys and service pack.thats way i like ford........

Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Default Shifting issues

Jessy: Im almost positive you might be correct,BUT this is THE TOUGHEST TRUCKS around,as ford builds FORD TUFF..I have had 5 rangers from the $3000 lowest range model in the beginning to my latest a 97 xlt,ext,short,Factory high lift, 4wd ,auto,4.0 monster. In which I had my puter motorheads build her up to 140 hp to the rear tired and bumped up shift range to 6000 rpms. 20 mpg on average and I run harder then most. Amsoil totally lubricated .Now for the Ford Cars,?? Maybe they need tool kit. Ahhhhh. Jessy Thank you for letting me brag about my ranger.
Amsoilman1 /T-1 certified Amsoil Dealer Bragg.braggg/;o)

Originally Posted by jessy
ford car complies with its original new Ford specification, including tool kit, spare keys and service pack.thats way i like ford........

Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Default shift

Hanky: Kurtis(my son) left her in CT for this trip as he and afriend found just what you indicated. Maybe forks bent a little. He was a little apprehensive to bring back to MI. without haveing someone that KNows what they are looking at. The collage he is at (Lincoln Tech) in CT. has one of the best Mechanical depts I have ever seen. He will take it into the shop for their practice to repair/rebuild if neccesary.Truck has 128,000 well maintained miles with one owner,so shouldnt need much. I contribute most of the issue to Kurtis. Dont usually drive a stick shift like 99% of kids now days. Hanky thank you for all your input in this matter and yes I will keep in touch with pics to follow.
Amsoilman1
Originally Posted by hanky
The best way to possibly solve this problem is to remove the top of the trans. Then you will be able to see what happened. Sometimes the interlock ball for the shift rail will allow two rails to both move and jam. Possibly a shift fork moved and jammed the rail. If you carefully remove the cover you should be able to see what happened. I don't believe it to be anything serious just a pain to go through and remove the shift tower/cover. Let us know what you find. Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Learning experiences don't always come cheap. Chuck this one up to learning the better way to drive a stick shift. Glad it wasn't an expensive one. Thanks for the update.