Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

04, 6.0 dsl oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Default 04, 6.0 dsl oil filter

Hi, supposed to say that Hayapower sent me. Anyway, bought a used 04, 350 last summer from a local dealer, all prepped and shiny. This weekend I finally gave it it's first oil change. Popped the top of the canister off and on top of the element was a pile of broken plastic pieces! When the dealer changed it, they didn't take out the old lid adapter and put the new one on top of the new element. Well, got all the pieces out of there and put it together the right way, but I've got a couple questions! The pump pushes or pulls the oil through the filter? Any screen between the filter and whatever comes next? I'm guessing I've had bad filtration for the last 10'000mi due to oil bypassing on the filter top with the missing pieces in the system ever since. Got a book coming tomorrow, but also an appointment with the dealer. Hi from Tractor forum!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 04, 6.0 dsl oil filter

Welcome wass..

The 6.0 oil filter cartidge just 'snaps' into the oil filter housing cap, then the 'coupled' unit slides down over the stand pipe with some light downward pressure to compress the spring to start the filter cover/cap into the filter housings threads.. Not sure what your referring too as the lid adapter? I'd think even if the new element was pushed over the stand pipe, and not first attached to the cap, it would snap in when the cap was screwed/tightened down given the spring tension.. So,, the filter elements plastictop piece shattered, not just cracked? It fragmented into small bits? and/or anything on the bottom of the filter housing?

If the last service was done/documented just prior to you taking delivery, the servicing dealer should bare some liability IMO.. If there aren't any engine issues from oil contaminationfrom any small bits, I'd at the very least have them run an oil analysis for some piece of mind, even better if you have an oil sample from the oil you dropped.....

Here's a description of the lube system for the 6.0..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/E21AD8ED71594E6CBEE28D2BCC6FD1EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. Hastings calls it a lid adaptor which it's instructions instruct to be snapped into the cap after removing the old one. Just got a wicks filter which has it installed on the filter which would be as you described, which is what was installed. They just didn't take out the old one which was, yes, shattered. I only found 2 small pieces at the bottom of the can, Wish I'd been able to recover all of them! Wonder what the dealership will say when I take it in this afternoon!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Well that's a new one on me..

I've seen and installed a ton of these filters, both OEM and some aftermarkets alike,and haven't come across a lid adapter.. Yet Hard to believe they would have been able to get the filter cap threads started with another piece clipped to the cap without some major force.. The Hastings part# I show for the 6.0 oil filter is a LF558 and looks just like the OEM unit.. The picture below is of a LF558 and the top filter plate is bonded to the filter as it should be.. If you have the instruction sheet for a lid adapter, whats the filter part # if avaialble....

On some of the older 7.3's,, I used to run into a problem when the owners would have them serviced at a 'quick lube' type service center.. The OEM filter cap would then be tossed out, and 'their' replacement unit had the filter "non removable" to the cap.. So each time it was serviced there, they'd install a new complete/integrated unit.. Problem being,,, that the OEM filter WOULD NOT install to the aftermarket cap, so to be able to use an OEM style even NAPA ect. you'd then have to purchase another factory style cap...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/10A2FC395C2E466BA28236B22863DCD6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Your picture looks just like the Wix #57314, but not the LF558 I installed. It had a hole throughthe whole thing with the "adapter"filling the top. The filter used before the last change must have been the same style to have had an adapter in the cap. I can e-mail a copy of the instructions if you want, they explain about the adapters, the two hole filter is still in use!