Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Electric fuel (Lift) pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Default Electric fuel (Lift) pump

1999 F-350 with 7.3 and 6 speed 2WD

I am hearing a whining from the rail mounted fuel pump. I recently had a bad experience with some substandard fuel. Is it time to swap out the pump?
Eric

Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Some pump whine/noise is normal. Did the pitch change?

Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 AM

Haya,
Yes it has and the pump has become louder.
I do plan on dropping the tank and looking/cleaning the two screens. I am also considering putting an external Racor filter between the tank and the pump if I remove the screens altogether.
Thoughts?
And thank you for the reply.
Eric

Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

What did the canister fuel filter look like?
If the filter was doing it’s job, good chance the system was somewhat spared. Water, never good...
We used to see systems that were polluted with debris using fueling cans, service trucks, or fueled from bed mounted tanks (sometimes non filtered delivery) usually in commercial apps. I those extremes, restrictions came early, but generally it took some fairly decent mileage clocked and/or age to restrict the module screens. But given the age of most of the 7.3’s,, all in the suspect ranges.
Cerainly not a bad thing to clean them if the tank is coming down. Removing them, I guess, but if clean fuel is always the case, left in place not much of a threat for some miles to come..
An add in filter would help clean flows into the pump and backup the OE filtration, but if poor fuel quality was more the norm (and I’d bet not) certainly would buy some time by sure volume of containment .
With the system cleaned, and ‘clean dry fuel’ always on the menu, the system works pretty well...
Most fueling stations that sell a lot of fuel, would be rare to delivery a bad tank. How was it that you got substandard fuel? Contained water, or ?

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-07-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:43 AM

The main canister filter was black with goo and sludge. I'm thinking the screens need some help at this point.
It was quite a "thrill" driving a up a long hill in West VA towing my small camper (A pop up) Side of the road in FIRST gear struggling. That was AFTER I changed out the main filter. Truck ran well after the initial change. On the way home it got dicey. About 20 miles of that kind of nonsense the system seemed to clear up and the truck ran like it always has. But i still want to drop the tank and have a look see.
Eric

Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I don’t remember the miles on your truck, but if the screens have never been checked/cleaned not a bad idea..
When the screens restrict, generally what happens is normal idle, normal intermediate/mid throttle and power, but on a steep grade or heavy loads or both,, anytime the throttle angle is deep the engine will fall flat on its face and usually with no CEL. On a flat throttle condition , if the peddle angle is reduced just a bit, normally the engine will quickly get the delivery it needs and smooth power applications resume....

With a tank drop and inspection, Peace of mind for sure, but you can always check for pressure and fuel volume at the 1/8” pipe plugs on the heads...Filter issues, screens restrictions, healthy pump etc would generally show up there..