Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1972 F250 neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Default 1972 F250 neutral safety switch

This is a 1972 F250, automatic transmission with power steering. I need to replace the neutral starting switch (NSS) lever (aka shifter pointer), the little metal prong that sticks up out of the steering column and moves the NSS when the shift lever moves. I am hoping one of the forum readers will have had recent experience performing this repair, or remembers how to do it. I submitted this question to another forum and have not yet gotten the answer I need.
My question is about getting this new selector lever clipped in. Remember, this is all under the dash – and there is a metal support bar just above this column. Can this be done without removing the steering column from the cab? Surely there must be some technique involved in getting my hands into this area to insert it. Any advice is welcome.
For those who may be interested, this is the background. I took apart the steering column to replace a broken transmission shift lever socket (aka shift collar, shift collar housing - part number 7228). This seems to be a common problem on the older pickups. The collar, made out of pot metal, cracks and breaks on the inside, making it impossible to shift gears – the shift lever just moves freely without moving the shift tube. I have a new aftermarket shift collar, a NOS shifter pointer, and a new turn signal switch. I now need one more new part.
For the sake of clarity, allow me to expand on this part and its interaction with another part.
Part A is the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS), mounted on the lower part of the steering column under the dash. This is a spring loaded switch which turns on and off the backup lights, and allows the starter motor to operate only when the gear selector is in Park and Neutral. This part attaches atop the steering column underneath the dash.
Part B is the spring steel NSS selector lever (DOTZ-7B097-B) that snaps onto the shift tube and has a prong. When the gear shift lever moves, this prong moves the NSS. Normally, access to this part is thru a hole in the mast jacket (steering column outer shroud). Again, this is on the upper side (but lower end) of the steering column down under the dash.
In the process of my repair, the selector lever attached to the shift tube (the tube inside the steering column) broke off. Because my column is taken apart, it is easy to remove the old broken piece by taking out the shifter tube and prying it out. Putting a new one back on can only be done with the shifter tube in place – inside the steering column.
Thanks