Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument lights/ neutral safety switch/ turning sounds

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Default Instrument lights/ neutral safety switch/ turning sounds

Okay, first of all, their are a few problems with my truck yet it is still drivable. I drive it daily. Okay so first off, my instrument lights will not come on, the only thing I have checked for is the fuse and it's still good.
My second problem is that I can only start my truck in neutral and I don't know how how to adjust it at all unless its off the piece that is connected to the transmission. I replaced the transmission myself and it works great, just have to park it in neutral.
And lastly, when i turn my truck, my truck seems to make this grinding noise but its electrical...idk, but if yall couold please help me, itd be much appreciated, thank you.
I have a 1993 F-150 with a 5.8L. Ext. cab short bed.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

So,, none of the instrument panel lights work.. Turns, illumination, warning, anything? In most cases when the truck will start in neutral only, the transmission range sensor (neutral safety switch) on the side of the trans needs to be adjusted or replaced.. Is the shift lever 'solid' meaning no excessive play?

To check the adjustment on the range sensor, there are 2 scribe marks on the face of the sensor. One on the sensor body, and the other on the rotating center. With it in neutral, the lines should align.. If they don't, loosen the 2 bolts and adjust prior to a replacement. Could be a connector issue too if the sensor plug is removed and you see corrosion.

Does the starter just spin, or grind, or just click at times?