Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1975 Ford F250 with a 390, crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Default 1975 Ford F250 with a 390, crank, no start

Here's the scenario. The only problem with the truck was the timing was a little off because the distributor was loose. Fired it up and adjusted the distributor where it needed to be and it ran great from there. Fired on the first crank every time.

I drove it a little bit and then had a friend come look at it. He adjusted the distributor again to where he thought it sounded good and told me to turn off the ignition. At this point the motor keeps chugging over for about 30 seconds without the key in it and then finally goes out, which was kind of weird. Now whenever I try to turn it over I've getting no fuel ignition whatsoever.

I've checked if the distributor is in time and I'm pretty sure it is and I've had 3 other guys say the same. I've checked compression, its good. I've checked the fuel, it's there. I've checked the spark, it's good. I've done everything I can think of but still no fuel is igniting, if I hit the accelerator all the gas just flys out of the carb because it just won't catch. All you hear when you turn it over is the sounds of a starter, there's no fuel ignition at all and I'm not sure what to do from here.

Can anyone help me? All I can figure is there's something wrong somewhere in the ignition wiring but I wouldn't know what to check from here. The truck was running perfect when I had it going and now I'm at a loss.

Also, I've tried spraying ether in the carb, it also won't ignite. I did notice that the starter sounds like complete crap so I replaced it but it still sounds the same. Could it not be getting enough power? It sounded completely different when I first got the truck.

Could this be caused by bad gas?

Last edited by amiehuffines; 08-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 AM

Yes
If the idle speed was set too high and the ignition is turned off the engine will "Diesel" run without ignition spark available. Sounds like you need to start from scratch and make sure the timing is set to somewhere near correct. The next thing I would suggest is to remove a spark plug and see if it is soaked with fuel, if so it just may be flooded in which case you might remove all the plugs and dry them out. While you have the plug(s) out see if the gas on them will burn. If not that should answer your question of bad gas.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

look under the hood on the drivers side inner fender ! there should be a square box with plug-ins going to it, make sure all the plug-ins are tight ! sounds like it,s spark instead of fuel ! check for spark at the plugs while someone cranks the engine ! it could be the coil, distributor cap and rotor !

Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Ok, changed the gas, cranked it and I get backfire. So I turn the distributor 180 and crank it. One or two cylinders fire and then I get nothing. I'm assuming the plugs are wet so ill try again tomorrow and hope for the best. On the upside it actually sounds a lot better when I crank it. I must be getting close.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 PM

it was /is flooded you should turn the dist. back to where it was and then hold the gas to the floor while starting keep doing it until it starts then slowly let off as engine speeds up.
then after it's running smooth take the hose off the vacume advance and plug it. get a timing light and set the timing to about 8 degrees btdc the put the hose back on the vac pod

Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by grindman
it was /is flooded you should turn the dist. back to where it was and then hold the gas to the floor while starting keep doing it until it starts then slowly let off as engine speeds up.
then after it's running smooth take the hose off the vacume advance and plug it. get a timing light and set the timing to about 8 degrees btdc the put the hose back on the vac pod
Put the dist back? To where it was just backfiring? Ok, ill try that first thing in the morning.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:37 AM

Did you at any time remove the dist ? If so, there is a procedure to reinstall it --correctly.
If you did not actually remove it then you should be able to come close in resetting it back to it's original position. I don't remember , but which direction does the rotor turn in the dist when cranking, clockwise or counter clockwise ? Also can you clean around the timing mark on the crank pulley so you can see it later when you will need to set the timing . I am setting you up for something hoping you don't have to do the procedure.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Did you at any time remove the dist ? If so, there is a procedure to reinstall it --correctly.
If you did not actually remove it then you should be able to come close in resetting it back to it's original position. I don't remember , but which direction does the rotor turn in the dist when cranking, clockwise or counter clockwise ? Also can you clean around the timing mark on the crank pulley so you can see it later when you will need to set the timing . I am setting you up for something hoping you don't have to do the procedure.
Yes, the dist was removed but I'm pretty sure its back in how it should be. It took a few tries but I got it to seat down all the way. So right now its a few degrees before top dead, but it could be 180 off. What I did was bring the motor to tdc, rotated it back a little and put the distributor in with the rotor pointing at the #1 plug. Now when I try to start it I just get backfire out of the exhaust. If I flip the dist 180 and crank it I just get fuel coming out of the carb.

Last edited by amiehuffines; 08-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 AM

OK, looks like you know what to do.
You may need to remove the #1 spark plug and make sure the timing mark is on TDC at the same time the #1 piston is at the top. Once that is done ,Then I would look at the dist gear to see if the pin through the gear and shaft is not sheared because if it is you will never get it timed correctly. After that reinstall the dist as you have before and you can get it close enough to start. Leave the coil wire off the cap and rotate the dist against the normal direction of rotation with the key on and you should get a spark out of the coil wire. Lock the dist there and the engine should start . then you can do as grindman stated and remove the vacuum line from the spark advance unit and set the timing correctly with a lite to the correct spec. I think I covered everything, but if I didn't hopefully someone will fill in the missing blanks.

Don't forget the plugs could be fouled with gas from trying to get it started .Dry them and fire it up !

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
OK, looks like you know what to do.
You may need to remove the #1 spark plug and make sure the timing mark is on TDC at the same time the #1 piston is at the top. Once that is done ,Then I would look at the dist gear to see if the pin through the gear and shaft is not sheared because if it is you will never get it timed correctly. After that reinstall the dist as you have before and you can get it close enough to start. Leave the coil wire off the cap and rotate the dist against the normal direction of rotation with the key on and you should get a spark out of the coil wire. Lock the dist there and the engine should start . then you can do as grindman stated and remove the vacuum line from the spark advance unit and set the timing correctly with a lite to the correct spec. I think I covered everything, but if I didn't hopefully someone will fill in the missing blanks.

Don't forget the plugs could be fouled with gas from trying to get it started .Dry them and fire it up !

Ok, but just so I'm clear before I try to fire it. Should the distributor be set where its backfiring out of the exhaust or should it be 180 where gas is spraying from the carb?

Quick Reply: 1975 Ford F250 with a 390, crank, no start