Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1988 F350 Diesel no power and no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 06:27 PM

So i cant get the truck to crank from inside, i figure it could be a problem with the clutch safety switch, i know if it is the problem and i replace it that it should crank from inside, im wondering if the switch being bad will make it to where it wont run, or if thats going to be something else

Old 06-22-2023, 04:54 AM

Something to consider, suggest you invest in a quality test light and use it to verify where you have power or ground. Can save a lot of unnecessary work and expense.

If your vehicle has an automatic trans, the power to get the engine starter to operate comes from the ign sw,down to the neutral safety sw , on the trans, then to the starter relay , then the relay when activated closes, and sends power to the starter motor.
This is all easily verified with a simple test light and hopefully can save you some time and expense.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Something to consider, suggest you invest in a quality test light and use it to verify where you have power or ground. Can save a lot of unnecessary work and expense.

If your vehicle has an automatic trans, the power to get the engine starter to operate comes from the ign sw,down to the neutral safety sw , on the trans, then to the starter relay , then the relay when activated closes, and sends power to the starter motor.
This is all easily verified with a simple test light and hopefully can save you some time and expense.
ive been using my power probe to test for voltage, i am pretty sure the clutch safety switch is good, but im going to replace it anyways because then i wont have to worry about it going out on me for a long time, all my injectors were leaking so i bought a new o ring kit with new rubber line, once i get all of that put in ill see if itll run, then ill figure out how to get it to start from the inside if that clutch safety switch dosent change anything

Old 06-22-2023, 01:16 PM

The light just came on upstairs. lol
Does your vehicle have a "Wait TO Start" lamp?

Old 06-22-2023, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The light just came on upstairs. lol
Does your vehicle have a "Wait TO Start" lamp?
  • yes it does, and it works like it should

Old 06-23-2023, 05:51 PM

#1: first test the starter relay/soleniod by applying 12v to the small terminal next to the battery terminal , a jumper applied between these terminals if the engine cranks the proceed to testing for voltage from the ignition switch
Points to test
#2 : the clutch safety switch
#3: the ignition switch
#4: the MLP / neutral safety switch
someone stated the cable to the starter is always hot >Not true on a ford, only hot went the relay is engaged.
If the engine Cranks but won't start , check for power to the fuel shut off on the injector pump (good) check to see if all eight glow plugs are good ( use an Ohm meter ) three bad glow plugs will make it not start .

Last edited by Crazy Old Fart; 06-23-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:43 PM

Also, verify power is getting to the glow plugs when the key is first turned on.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:34 PM

So i have replaced the clutch safety switch and the ignition switch since they wernt very expensive, i just redid some wiring under the hood because there were a lot of wires exposed and toutching each other, nothing is new yet, i have power going to the injector pump, but still cant turn it over from the inside. Im going to just replace all the glow plugs since they are inexpensive as well, but in the meantime id still like to get it to crank from inside the truck, so far everything inside works as it should, but there is no power getting to the small ignition wire on the starter solenoid when i go to crank

Old 07-01-2023, 04:38 PM

I ran a jumper wire from the ignotion switch to the starter relay and got it to crank from inside the cab now, that is just temporary until i can get it running and driving, then ill go back through and redo all that i half *** fix, i am going to pull one of the lines off of an injector to see if there is still fuel getting to the injectors, if there is then ill replace glow plugs and it should run, if not then ill spend the money on a new injector pump and change that out before i do glow plugs

Old 07-02-2023, 01:37 AM

Update: i have fuel getting to the injectors, so my injector pump is good, i am going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see if thats what it needs, if that dosent work ill drain out the tanks and clean them out, then get some fresh diesel in them. Truck only sat for a year, but i dont know how old the fuel is thats in it

Quick Reply: 1988 F350 Diesel no power and no start