Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1988 Ford F250 351 5.8 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Did you check the oxygen sensors?
I did not but would I have O2 sensors with all the smog cat and muff gone? Ill do some googleing and see where the O2 sensors will or would be. Thanks hanky!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM

If you are not familiar with how a fuel injected engine operates I would suggest some background info into your memory bank. If I am incorrect I apologize, if I am on the right track something to keep in mind. with a carbureted engine , you could do anything you wanted to work on performance. With fuel injection, however, the computer controls fuel, timing, and performance based on info from a series of sensors. When we remove or attempt to eliminate any of these sensors , there is a price to pay and if the computer is getting false or no info from the required sensors performance suffers. Since there are several inputs from several sensors the codes are supposed to help provide some direction as to which system info is incorrect or absent. If nothing else, I hope to help shed some light on some of the problems and don't always know the causes.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 PM

If you are not familiar with how a fuel injected engine operates I would suggest some background info into your memory bank. If I am incorrect I apologize, if I am on the right track something to keep in mind. with a carbureted engine , you could do anything you wanted to work on performance. With fuel injection, however, the computer controls fuel, timing, and performance based on info from a series of sensors. When we remove or attempt to eliminate any of these sensors , there is a price to pay and if the computer is getting false or no info from the required sensors performance suffers. Since there are several inputs from several sensors the codes are supposed to help provide some direction as to which system info is incorrect or absent. If nothing else, I hope to help shed some light on some of the problems and don't always know the causes.
Oh man I hope I did not say anything that would allude to me being rude or disrespectful or ungreatful. I was just asking cuz I dont know. I appreciate your input and help. Thanks Hanky. Or maybe I read yer post wrong at any rate thanks😎

Old 08-23-2017, 07:44 PM

Move over, this is one field where the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know ! Thanks for being understanding, glad to be of any help whenever possible .
Soooo, where are we and hopefully I can learn something while attempting to offer some "Hopefully" useful suggestions.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:35 PM

I did find where the O2 sensor is suposed to plug into. I have yet to buy the O2 sensor has I will need to weld a new bung in the exhaust. I did just change the oil and it smelled like gas, badly. So with new oil in and about 300 miles in I pulled the dip stick and it smells of gas and the oil is very transparent. I put oil with Zink it and that oil is very dark in color . . . Could I have a injector valve stuck open? Thats where I'm at with this old truck. Ive put a lot of money into this truck and dont want to quit now but its getting to point where I'm running out of options. Thanks guys!

Old 09-24-2017, 05:03 PM

The computer is supposed to alter the injector on (fuel) time based on info from the O2 sensor. Also if the computer is not receiving temp info from the coolant temp sensor the fuel system stays in open loop providing a richer mixture until operating temp is reached and info from the oxygen sensor is received. Until that info is rec'd it will never go into closed loop where the computer controls the injector on time based on info from those sensors. Gets a little confusing sometimes, but you should have a great running little truck when you get it all straightened out.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:14 PM

The computer is supposed to alter the injector on (fuel) time based on info from the O2 sensor. Also if the computer is not receiving temp info from the coolant temp sensor the fuel system stays in open loop providing a richer mixture until operating temp is reached and info from the oxygen sensor is received. Until that info is rec'd it will never go into closed loop where the computer controls the injector on time based on info from those sensors. Gets a little confusing sometimes, but you should have a great running little truck when you get it all straightened out.
Hanky! You are the man! This makes a ton of sense and will be a way better option than removing all injectors . . . Ill go get a 02 sensor and a new coolant sensor as i have not replaced it yet. The engien has been running hot sense the swap happened. running down the road its fine but when i stop it heats up real fast. I can watch the gauge move as i sit. Thanks for the reply bro!

Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Okay so I put the O2 sensor in today and it still does the idle surge. when it does "find" it's idle it idles at 1100 and that makes hard to get going in 2nd gear (it's a 4 speed granny). I'm kinda lost now as I have replaced just about everything on this truck. When it does idle right its great but that's rare now.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Ok so confession, and Hanky I'm sure yer not going to like this which is fine and please correct me I have no smog pump so I plugged the TAB and TAD solenoids as I have read from other forums you can do. Also, from my engine swap I'm not sure all vac lines were ran right. My MAP goes to the EFI manifold the FPR goes to the manifold the red line from the coffee can goes to the manifold and the third larger solenoid, the EGR valve goes the same solenoid as well which I have left. The two throttle body vac lines went to one of the TAD or TAB but It looks like they should have went to the charcoal canister thus I have moves them there. Thanks for helping me man. I NEED IT lol . . .

Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 PM

Im going out now to replace my Coolant temp sensor.

Quick Reply: 1988 Ford F250 351 5.8 EFI