Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1996 F350 brakes still tight

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Default 1996 F350 brakes still tight

Changed the calipers and pads. Brakes still tight. And squeeking after 200 miles. What next?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Is this when just driving or only when the brakes are applied?

Old 05-04-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Is this when just driving or only when the brakes are applied?
after applied they drag. I have wheels off right now and turning them is harder than it should be i think. The front right is tighter than the left but they both seem tight.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:52 PM

How about we start at the calipers.
You state the wheels feel like they are dragging. It should be pretty easy to open the bleeder on each caliper and see if any pressure is relieved and wheel becomes easier to rotate. The bleeders are on the top of the caliper yes/no ?

Old 05-05-2020, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will check how the caliper responses when releasing pressure from the bleed valve again this weekend......but before there was no change. The fluid dribbles out not spurting....but they're both brand new calipers on driver and passenger side.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:57 PM

Not being there to see, because some people have managed to install the calipers with the bleeders on the bottom is why I asked that question . Where are the bleeders on your calipers?

Did you use the new stainless pad contact pieces that should have come with the pads?
Did you clean the caliper pins and holes the pins slide in?
Did you you use the proper lube for the caliper pins?
Did you have the rotors trued so you get full contact with the pads?
The caliper O ring and seal are what brings the pad off the rotor . Is that happening?
Does your vehicle have FWD and if so are the hubs unlocked ?

Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not being there to see, because some people have managed to install the calipers with the bleeders on the bottom is why I asked that question . Where are the bleeders on your calipers?

Did you use the new stainless pad contact pieces that should have come with the pads? There were clips with the pads. I thought they were called anti-rattle clips. I did install those and they arent making contact with anything go make noise.
Did you clean the caliper pins and holes the pins slide in? Not sure what this means. The calipers came with bolts i used to attach to the frame.....and boots on them.
Did you you use the proper lube for the caliper pins? ???
Did you have the rotors trued so you get full contact with the pads? Brand new rotors..... i wouldnt thind id have to do anything to them
The caliper O ring and seal are what brings the pad off the rotor . Is that happening? Not sure what this means.
Does your vehicle have FWD and if so are the hubs unlocked ?
4WD hubs unlocked.

will try to post pics and video today.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 AM

Pics and video:

Old 06-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Any thoughts?

Old 06-11-2020, 01:08 PM

1. The rubber boots should cover the caliper pins. It appears the outer ones are jammed in there

2. The rotor appears behind a hub surface. Maybe it's me, but just doesn't look right.

Did you get just exchange calipers or did they come with the mounting brackets already assembled?

There is just something that stands out and I am not sure if it is me or just the way the photos show the parts.

There is definitely something not right and I need for you to tell us exactly what you did when changing some of the parts.
If you did what I think you did you did.well let's check first. Does the rotor actually turn when you rotate the wheel studs?

Last edited by hanky; 06-11-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 1996 F350 brakes still tight