Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2003 F250 relay clicking

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 05:31 PM
Default 2003 F250 relay clicking

03 F250 relay clicking until brakes applied. Replace relay and it did not fix. Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2020, 07:37 PM

We need to know which relay is clicking.
Can you provide description of where this relay is located?
If you have the owner's manual, look in the maintenance and specifications section, there it shows the relay location and what it controls.
Once we know which relay we can go from there.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:34 PM

I don’t have the owners manual but it is a large TBB89 relay located inside the dash below and to the left of the radio. I saw a youtube video and they said it was the blinker relay but I have to go on their word for that. The relay stops clicking when I apply the brakes and I believe it stops when I turn on the blinkers but it was hard to tell for sure since they make the same sound

Old 07-23-2020, 06:33 AM

If you remove the lower plastic covering under the steering column, you should be able to find the relay by the sound.
It may be mounted with the flasher relay on a small block that originally is mounted to the steering col.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:44 AM

I have found the relay and replaced it as I said above. It is not located under the panel below the steering wheel it is located to the right of that area. It is below and to the drivers side of the radio. I had to take our the trim panel and the lower panel where the cup holder and ash tray are located. The relay was located there, and I had to remove a cover to get to it. It was only one relay there were no other relays with it and it is not associated with any fuse panel. Just a relay that says "Ford TBB89 H252 Made in the USA VF65B-13350-AA 2(4)x 32CP-12V DOT SAE" . I hope this helps in identifying which Relay. Like I said everything works fine that I can tell except for the relay clicking. It will click until I apply the brakes. When I apply the brakes the relay stops. It also appears to stop when I turn on the blinkers. If you need more information let me know and I will be happy to give you all the information that I know.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Something you can try,
Remove the relay , Which could be the signal light flasher . Now with the key on, turn on a turn signal. What do you get? If you get no signal lights , that is the signal light flasher.

Having had problems like this before, what is making this relay/flasher go nuts?
Was the windshield ever replaced in your vehicle?
They were known to leak and the moisture would get down into the fuse panel and do crazy things
Look for rust and corrosion just above the parking brake pedal assy. That would confirm a moisture intrusion problem. That moisture and corrosion provided paths for current to go and the results were difficult to explain. The cure was to either clean the corrosion and moisture from the module, junction box , panel what ever you want to call it, or replace it Some people replaced them . .
If everything is clean and rust and moisture free we need to look elseware. I have had a few with this problem and electricity can do some strange things when moisture gets into the mix.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM

I finally got back on the problem and have a little to up-date. The problem went away and I thought I just got lucky but as with everything it came back. I removed the relay and it stops the door locks. This truck also has a dealer installed alarm system. You have to hit the unlock twice on the key fob before the truck will start up. When I removed the relay I did not have to do this and the truck started up with out the need to unlock twice. I will try and attach a picture of the box and see if that will help.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:15 PM

I have been in this field a few moons and have never seen a relay like the one shown.
Is there any name on it or any indication of who made it?