Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2005 F-250 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Default 2005 F-250 transmission

OK, I have a 2005 F-250 5.4L with the integrated towing system. It has just under 11,000 miles on it, and it got a new transmission last week. It also has some sort of electrical problem where it is drawing power and it is leaving my battery dead within about 36 hours of sitting and not being run. We got this truck in October 2004, pretty much one of the first ones off the line, it is pretty much exclusively used for towing. We took it to VA last year about this time to put some miles on it and help it break in, when I came back it maybe had 6000 miles on it. This truck is lightly used, it tends to sit in the garage a lot, I mainly tow a 3 horse trailer with it (5500 lbs empty), and usually that trailer is not full (1-2 horses in it, average weight of horse just over 1000 lbs), and it goes and gets grain, up to 2500 lbs in the bed at a time, but not often. I took this truck into the shop as it was going dead, and it doesn't seem to finish -shifting in tow/haul mode. It sticks at about 2300-2600 RPM at 55 mph for many miles/minutes on flat land and then finally will shift and go down to about 1500 rpm, there is no rhyme nor reason as to why/when it finally shifts, this truck runs at the 2300-2600 RPM when it runs 65-70 mph in tow/haul mode. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with the truck, of course it didn't throw any codes at the time, and they said they found a pinched wire under one of the electric seats that was causing the draw off the battery. Got it home, let it set a couple of days went to use it and it's dead, got it going because I had to tow with it over Memorial Day weekend. Towed with it short distances over Memorial Day weekend for a total of 4 round trips, longest trip was 10 miles one way, shortest trip 3 miles one way towed one horse in the trailer each time. I got to my friend's house, went to back the truck up and it sounded like limited slip was kicking in, the tow/haul light flashed, I thought maybe it wasn't in gear, put it in park, sat a few, put it in reverse and tried again, same thing, this time put in park and shut off and restarted, again same thing. Shut truck off let it set while I loaded/unloaded horses, etc... it sat a few hours, got in it went home, no problems until reverse and it started again. Got in truck the next day to go back to get horse (3 miles one way) started it and engine light came on, drove to get horse, same thing in reverse flashing light and sounded bad. Called dealership Tues morn. got appointment got it in, they said Friday it needed a new pressure valve would have it Monday. Monday they open transmission, close it up and order a new one as there was a bunch of metal in the transmission. Pick up truck tues. morning, truck is dead, dealer says lights were left on (a story I don't believe) say take it home if it goes dead bring it back. Thurs. evening truck is dead, need to use it Sun. to go to horse show (56 miles one way), hauling 3 horses, about 3200 lbs of horse in the trailer, truck still will not shift right at 55 mph, sticking at 2300-2600 rpm. This truck was hauling at a lower rpm than my 2001 F-250 when I first got the truck and towed with it the first time in April 2005. So I know that it has shifted and pulled at lower rpm at 55mph. Technician says that the shift pattern is normal. Also, on the way home sunday, it was at 55 mph, and wouldn't shift and lower the rpm (it sounds like it is at the top of the shift pattern to me and it won't shift), pushed on accelerator, went up to almost 4000 rpm and it stuck there for a bit, took foot off of accelerator and it stayed at high 3000 rpms for about 45 seconds - coasting - until it finally kicked in and shifted. Has anyone been having problems with their 2005 F-250 with the new 5 speed and towing package????????????? Or any ideas what is going on, or am I just nuts? (Side note on this, I do own a 1994 ford ranger manual, first manual I've ever owned, this truck has over 130,000 miles on it and I still have the original clutch and transmission, so I don't beat the crap out of my vehicles)