Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2006 F350 dually

Old 03-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Default 2006 F350 dually

I cant seem to find the problem with my truck, it shakes like its an out of balance tire, but I put on new tires and had them balanced front end aligned, but around 30 to 50 I get a vibration/shaking if I let off it stops and if I ease back into it its back, I have check the usual stuff, drive shaft, steering dampers, brake calipers and new brakes, there is a slight wobble on rear tires, so could this be a wheel bearing problem? im lost guys I don't know what else to check, I need some ideas. thx

Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM

If you can see the wobble you will definitely feel it.
If you had new tires put on the rear, suggest you take the truck back and have them check the tire mounting on the rears,which should have been balanced too.
Sometimes the wheel nuts don't get tightened correctly and can get loose after a few miles. I wouldn't drive it much until the wheels get checked.

If the problem was not present before the tires were replaced , it's the shops problem.
Make sure if there is a possibility the wheel(s) became loose that it did not ruin the studs on the drum/disc. Just retightening is questionable depending on if any studs were damaged.

Also some Fords had a vibration problem caused by insufficient lube in the driveshaft slip joint.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:40 AM

Hanky,
ive had this problem before I put new tires on, I took off big off road tires and put on the normal size tires for my truck, and it made the vibration worse, I have found bad calipers which I have replaced, my next step is to change rotors, but I was also wondering if it could be a wheel bearing, I don't see or hear any signs of them being bad. Thanks for info, I will check the drive shaft slip joint, I have taken the tires off both sides on the rear and watched the rotors they have a slight wobble you can see when standing over them looking down at them.
while on jack stands the vibration is still there when you raise the speed up.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 PM

If you want to check the wheel bearings , you need to remove the axles first, then check for excessive looseness/ply. Keep in mind you will lose some of the differential lube when you pull the axle(s) out. Have some of the correct lube (per owner's manual) to replace what leaks out.
The better way to check the driveline is to remove one end of the driveshaft and actually feel for any problems with the u-joints Some can look Ok and still be binding.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM

ok thx ill do that first, I was thinking of maybe doing that first, then if I find something ill replace all 3 of the u joints and the hanger bearing so I can eliminate that.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:32 AM

after checking my wheel bearings I found the inner bearing I can tilt it and work it like a u joint there is a lot of play in it, is it suppose to be like this? both of my rear wheel hubs do this all though one side more than others, I have watch some video on this but they show movement up and down straight, this is a limited slip axel, the seal never leaked, or made any noise at all. any help would be great. thanks.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 AM

The inner bearing only sits in the race when the wheel is off the axle housing. When the wheel hub is installed on the axle housing the wheel bearing inner race is up against the housing and any looseness is removed when the outer nuts are properly adjusted. REMINDER, don't attempt to reuse the old wheel seals. replace them.A little tip, pack grease under the wheel seal lip so the spring underneath doesn't get knocked out when driving the seal in place. Some have a spring under the lip and some don't. Make sure you adjust that outer wheel nut correctly and that it stays in place after adjustment. Ford has a special adjustment procedure for that nut so be sure you follow it to the letter.. There should be no ply in the wheel when the bearing is adjusted to the correct spec. Before you install the axle , make sure there is some lube in the wheel hub
.After you are done and ready to take the vehicle axle off the stands , tip the vehicle to each side so the lube gets into each wheel hub.Then remove the plug from the pass side of the differential and fill the differential with the correct lube to the bottom of the plug hole.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Hanky thx so much, I did check them and going to get new seals now and I got my specs to install and torque numbers, thx so much for your help it gave me the confidence to go do the job.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:11 PM

If you did not find anything apparent that might be responsible for the vibration the only suggestion I would offer at this time is to make sure all the wheels were balanced when the tires were replaced.

You can use an RTV gasket maker to seal the axles to the hubs on assembly.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Hanky, I cant believe it was the dam rotors, I put new ones on and checked seal and wheel bearings all of that was fine, just test drove it, hit a high speed truck was just as smooth as can be, just a stiff suspension bumps....thx so much for you help. problem fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 F350 dually