Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2008 F-250 Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM

freon,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this truck and/or motor combo is lacking in the power department.
Example; yesterday I took our dirt bikes to our deer lease. This is first time pulling anything with my truck. I had two yamaha yz450f and a pw 80 minibike on trailer. Also had a small 4-wheeler in bed of truck. Now I don't know how much weight that is, but I feel like this truck should have had NO problem with it. Well like you I thought I should push tow/haul button and it would fix it. But I was sadly mistaken. I can only imagine what will happen when I put my 31 ft. Airstream camper behind it. If this is a common thing, I think Ford wasted their time putting this motor in a truck that is used for towing and hauling.
That is main reason I am looking to put a chip or programmer in my truck. I'm sure if I put all the things recomended like exhaust, cold air intake, some kind of pulley, transmission kit and everything else I have read about, I would get more power but that's kinda defeating the purpose of SUPER DUTY I think.

Sorry I got off on a rant but I am really dissapointed. Good luck to you also. Maybe somebody will come up with an idea that will help us out and not cost a fortune.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Default F 250 gas mileage

Swiley,

Sorry to hear your having the same problem. I will tell you that I am not a believer in the chips and kits route for better performance. Why should we be paying these big bucks only to spend additional thousands to get decent mpg? What does that do to our warranties? What about the exhuast... is your vehical going to be a noise nuisance because of a dualed out exhuast? We should ask the pros on this site, maybe they can steer us in the right direction. One more thing, i was talking to my lawyer
about an issue i was having with my job and he told me later in the conversation that he is just finishing up a class case brought against Ford and their diesels. Please let me know how things go with you and your 5.4!

Freon

Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM

freon,

I'm in a little different situation I guess because my truck is a company truck. Although I do get taxed on the personal miles I drive each year, I'm really not paying for it.(seems like most of my miles are business miles).
But on the other hand, I can't get to carried away with upgrades like exhaust and pulleys and stuff like that because I will turn it in at 95,000 miles. So anything I do needs to be reversible. So I'm kinda limited. But as far as noise being a problem....I live in East Texas, the only person it would bother is me. Seems like everyone who has a deisel has those 4in. stacks sticking up out of the bed of their truck or mega phone exhaust pipes that make em sound like a freakin Mack truck. LOL!!!
And I'm not sure about the "experts" on this site. I did ask about a chip or programmer a couple of days ago. I have yet to get a single response. I guess maybe If I'm not putting new exhaust and cold air ind. and under drive pulleys...etc. on my truck I don't warrant a response. I would love to do that but like I said I would lose most of it after 95,000 mi. Then have to start over. And for me that happens about every other year or 18 months.
Oh well, I'll keep looking and maybe I'll find something. I'll let you know if performance gets any better, but I'm not counting on it.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Pressure on tire has something to do to improve you gas mileage.With the right amount of air pressure,your tires wear longer,save fuel,enhance handling, and prevent accidents.Failure to maintain the correct air pressure can result in poor gas mileage,reduce tire life affect vehicle handling and cause vehicle overloading.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Default 2008 F250 Performance..

I have a 2008 F250 Diesel 4x4 truck and I get nearly 20 miles per gal when not pulling anything. When I pull my 12000 lb RV mileage drops to somewhere near 11 or 12 mpg but on occasion hits 15mpg.
I try and keep the tires at the pressure the manufacturer says it should be and I normally drive close to 60 miles per hour on the hwy but not more than that. I also use the cruise control a lot and always am careful to avoid jack-rabbit starts and stops.
Perhaps all this helps to make the mileage better, but not sure. Also the mileage did improve once we passed 22000 miles. I have no idea why..

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM

it's all having to do with the emissions system (dpf). you can get a dpf delete kit that replaces the dpf with a straight pipe and it comes with a tuner that tricks the computer into thinking it doesn't need to re-gen. i think it's on dpfdelete.com. a buddy of mine did this a while back and his mileage went up to 23 hwy and 18 city...consistently. he's also got a 4" exhaust and cold air intake. egt's went down, engine temp went down, mileage went up. don't let the dealer see it and you'll be fine. there are other comapnies that will gut your dpf and re-install it and program the truck so it looks like it's still on there, but that gets expensive.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM

I have a 2008 F350 with the DPF delete kit on it with the straight pipe and module for the inside. No cutting wires, everything bolts in. Its a lease that is going back so I need a DPF for the truck. I sold the one when I did the kit not thinking it would matter when returned. I was wrong and they want it back to stock. So I will trade the straight pipe, control unit and all wiring so the kit is as new from dpfdelete.com for a good working DPF for my 2008 F350 6.0L deisel powerstroke. I am in Washington State and non of my wrecking yards have a DPF filter. Trade me and get the kit cheaper.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Hi, new to the forum guys, loving it though. Here goes....I just bought 08 F250 CC 6.75 ft bed with the 3.73's. Bone stock, just a tonneau cover. Love the truck! MPG sucks. I know its going to burn fuel not much beef with that. Just wondering if the in dash display for MPG's is correct. I did a manual calculation from fill up and came up with different numbers. Did as follows...30Gallons at 3.12$ =396 miles....now im at 3 quarter tank remaining according to MTE reading of 297. So i figured 13.2. Am i crazy? The dash says 10.1...also I reset it when I filled up. Any help would be appreciated....also I have been driving it like im 80 years old....feathering it to see. When i first bought it I was beating it up a bit and was registering like 9MPG.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM

I have a 08 6.4 diesel with a mini maxx turner set to mild and a S&B intake with a 4in straight pipe. I am getting 16.7 mpg city and not much higher on the highway. I am not too heavy on the gas pedal maybe a few times a week ill ''roll the coal" per say. is there something else I can do to the truck to get better MPG.