Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

6.0 mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Default RE: 6.0 mods

Bizbad, where do you get your info? The 6.0L handles mods quite well and long as you do not try to go overboard, like the ones blowing the headgaskets. It seems that these days everyone wants a chip/program and expects high numbers, which thay may get for a short period of time before thay have the problems that you stated. It's common sense, you get what you pay for. Anyone with a bit of knoweldge with programming can alter your vehicle to make drastic changes in the performance, however doing so, in that way, isn't going to do anything but kill your engine. There are people out there who make stuff for the 6.0L that gives you the numbers and is very safe, however it cost more so people normally don't go that route. I have personally installed pretty much everything Banks offers on 3 different 6.0L's and have had nothing but excellent results. As with everything else, you get what you pay for and there is a reason the price is what it is. Bottom line is the 6.0L handles mods quite well if you choose the right mods.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:25 PM

Well, I work on them everday, so I see what happens when people start trying to modify an engine that isn't designed to be modified. High flow air intake systems let in to much dirt. They eat the fins on the turbos, causing the cylinders to get dusted with aluminum, destroying the cylinder walls. Programmers overboost the turbos causing the fins to uncurl and rub on the side of the turbo with the same result. Along with the fact the head gaskets cant take the higher cylinder pressures developed by the programmer.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 PM

I don't agree with the higher flow air intake systems on the 6.0L either, as stated in my above post. The 6.0L has one of the best stock air intakes available. However, 6.0L DO handle mods quite well. I also work with them often. I see them on the dyno's just about every day and know what they are capable of and also know what is safe. I have had many conversations with the engineers who are doing the dyno runs about what can and cannot be done safely. We also had a few of the 4.5L 6-cyl. diesels that were designed of this engine that was supposed to go into the smaller trucks. I agree 100% that SOME of the aftermarket intakes with certain filters will allow too much through and cause damage to the turbo, ect..., but there are many mods available that are very safe and give signifacant gains. Again, if you actually read my above post, I also do not agree with the chips/programmers that offer high numbers with no other changes, like you said they will and do cause problems, again, as I stated in my above post. Basically what it all comes down to is, if you want the higer numbers, you will not achieve them for very long just using a chip or programmer. They just are not safe for your engine. If you decide to sped the money and do it right, much higher numbers are very easy to obtain while doing so in a way that is not killing your engine. I would recommend that anyone looking for any mods that increase power, no matter the amount, first start with some accurate guages, you need a decent pyrometer and boost guage. Without them you cannot moniter any other upgrades.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 PM

In my opinion, I would not touch a 6.0, I understand what you are saying but, I have to disagree. I will not doubt that maybe you have had good luck with things you have done. Most do not. I can honestly tell you, I see two a week that have engine damage due to modification. I have never spoken to anyone at Ford that has told me that these engines work better with any kind of mod. It is complete taboo according to any Ford engineer ,tech, or instructor I have spoken to . If Ford could have added horsepower and gas mileage just with simple modifications, without sacrificing longevity, don't you think they would have? You may get by with it, but some people live with cancer into their nineties also. I am not arguing with you , I respect everyone's opinion, this is just what i have seen and experienced.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:59 PM

just for your info, the dyno's that I spoke of, all of the engineers and techs that are running them and myself are all Ford employees who see the engines and there capabilities a bit more than you could even believe, day after day, all day. If any givin engine was put out with it's max power from the beginning of it's use, there would be no room to step up the numbers when the competion does so each year or so, it's all a numbers game between the different manufactures.

Wait till the 6.4L twin turbo comes out! All kinds of mods are possible and will work, regardless of what your sources might tell you... when they get there hands on one.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:44 PM

Well I am glad the engineers are seemingly telling a select few, different things than they are telling Ford employees and Technicians. Looks like they are keeping the people who work on them in the dark. I guess I better call Willie Clay direct.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Not sure what you are being told, or by who, but I am a Ford employee as are the tech's that I work with and all of the dyno's I am speaking of are Ford dyno's at a
Ford location.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 AM

I am sorry, but you could be a 20 year old community college grad and I will never know. I never speak of who employs me on the internet. I find it an insult when anyone claims to be someone in the know, as there is no way to prove it. This is a forum that anyone can access. I could be a 70 year old derelict talking out my a**, as you could be also. People who frequent these forums want advice. I for one, offer what I know to be true and skip the posts that ask questions where the answers are not cut in stone. This post is about mods. Modifications to a 6.0 are not advised by anyone at Ford. I would gladly answer any phone calls at work from an engineer informing me otherwise. How about this, you pm me their ford.com addresses and I will get in touch with them that way. I am sure the local FSE would love to be filled in on how your engineers know something he wasn't let in on.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 PM

thats right bizbad if they allowed modifications then they wouldnt void warranties when problems arise from they would they.we always been told at our dealership no mod at all period right from ford.....

Old 02-04-2006, 02:43 PM

bizbad, are you really that stupid or just not up to admitting that you are wrong? People do come here for advise, only the advise you are giving is not true. I really do not care what you think of me or what you do. Modifications to any and every Ford vehicle are not advised by anyone at Ford, for warranty reasons, yet each and every vehicle has much more potential available through different mods that are safe to do.

hockeyhitman69, if you cannot read or understand a subject, don't post something that doesn't apply. No one every said anything about Ford allowing mods or your warranty being voided due to mods. What they allow you to do under your warranty terms and what works to enhance the performance of your vehicle are two different subject.

Quick Reply: 6.0 mods