Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

6.0L diesel will not restart after shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Default 6.0L diesel will not restart after shutting down

So, I just bought this 2006 F-250 turbo diesel 6.0L last week. The truck was a good buy, and purely bought it for more towing power. I hooked up my 10,000 pound travel trailer and pulled it for about 100 miles and stopped at a rest stop, shut it off for about 30 minutes and it would not re-start. I disconnected the negative sides to the batteries and let the truck sit for about 15 minutes, re-sinstalled the battery cables and it fired right up. The next day, after having the trailer disconnected I drove it to a gas station to fill it up, and the damn thing would not re-start again. This time it sat for almost 2 hours before it would re-start, so I got it back to the camp grounds and let it sit over night. We got up the next morning and it fired right up, pulled the trailer 150 miles, dropped it off, kept the truck running all day without shutting it down. Drove it straight to Ford, and now they are telling me they cannot duplicate the problem. WTF!!!!!
Has anybody else had this problem, and if so what was the diagnosis? I am looking for some direction that I can point these guys in so they do not give me the truck back and this happen to me again and leave me stranded. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Any CEL or did they pull any codes during their diagnosis?

Never any lack of power or rough running conditions prior to the no start?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 PM

No CEL or any other messages. There were no codes flagged in the computer. No issues with loss of power while driving, no smoke, no indications whatsoever. When the truck is running, it runs awesome. I have been doing a little research, and since I have no other associated problems I am thinking it might have something to do with the cooling system. It looks like the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor may be going bad and sending the PCM erroneous temperature readings, which I guess could mess up the ignition timing. Any suggestions because these guys at the Ford dealership are not helping their cause!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM

ask them to look at the FCM module

Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

That was my question about the running condition and/or codes..

There's a TSB for the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) for a circuit board and/or relay as a possible cause for a no start, hard start, running concerns that may or maynot set a code..

Old 07-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the tips! I received a call from the dealership and they said they finally got the problem to duplicate since I would not take the truck back until they found something. They said they troubleshot it down to the oil pump and that's what they are changing, but I also mention the FCM and they said they would also take a look at. Can either of you guys explain how the oil pump on a diesel has anything to do with the engine starting??

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

In short,

The diesels use a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) mounted at the rear/top of the engine to supply the electro-hydraulic injectors oil for pressure or the 'push' for the fuel injection. The lower or primary oil pump on the front of the engines crankshaft feeds oil up to the HPOP. It then raises the PSI to supply high pressures needed for the injectors depending on throttle angle/damand/command. The 6.0 has a few places that can starve the needed high oil pressure to feed the injectors.. They had issues with a connector called a STC or 'snap to connect' that would crack/fail and cause pressure delivery problems, or even the HPOP itself. There are others..

They need a min. of 500lbs pressure just to start the engine. What can happen sometimes is the oil circuit connector/s or the pump can develop enough pressure to start the engine cold and run,, but then after its heated up the pump has a problem developing enough pressure to meet the minimum required pressure should there be a leak, or a weak pump.

If yours was following a pattern of a 'hot soak', no start, the HPOP pressure would be one of the things to check straight up..

Last edited by Hayapower; 07-25-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM

thats the exact problem i am having right now with my '04 f250 6.0 deisel, it starts great cold, and cranks, and cranks, and cranks when its warm, and will finally start after mutilple attempts, and then sometimes it starts right up warm. Weird! But I am going outside to check the HPOP right now. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Default low on oil,

Originally Posted by Hayapower
In short,

The diesels use a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) mounted at the rear/top of the engine to supply the electro-hydraulic injectors oil for pressure or the 'push' for the fuel injection. The lower or primary oil pump on the front of the engines crankshaft feeds oil up to the HPOP. It then raises the PSI to supply high pressures needed for the injectors depending on throttle angle/damand/command. The 6.0 has a few places that can starve the needed high oil pressure to feed the injectors.. They had issues with a connector called a STC or 'snap to connect' that would crack/fail and cause pressure delivery problems, or even the HPOP itself. There are others..

They need a min. of 500lbs pressure just to start the engine. What can happen sometimes is the oil circuit connector/s or the pump can develop enough pressure to start the engine cold and run,, but then after its heated up the pump has a problem developing enough pressure to meet the minimum required pressure should there be a leak, or a weak pump.

If yours was following a pattern of a 'hot soak', no start, the HPOP pressure would be one of the things to check straight up..
Even if they are just a couple few quarts low on oil they will not start, just the first thing to check,